Icing after a tournament

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Still in the Ice age ??? No disrespect, but I don't agree. I don't have the time right now to drag up the info, but just want to decent. If you need anything, then something is wrong. Don't suppress the situation, figure out the root cause. Looks like you spent the last month packaging the post.... research & HD photos correctly loaded... bet you had to hire...I'll admit, I hired my model too, but it only cost a cheeseburger... lol

Save you all some time... DMSO as you were told last time.

Animation%20fat-shirtless-guy-eating-cheeseburger-2-4.gif
darn you PC you could had waited for me to get my shirt on.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is an organosulfur compound with the formula (CH3)2SO. This colorless liquid is an important polar aprotic solvent that dissolves both polar and nonpolar compounds and is miscible in a wide range of organic solvents as well as water. It penetrates the skin very readily, giving it the unusual property for many individuals of being secreted onto the surface of the tongue after contact with the skin and causing a garlic-like taste in the mouth
Now do I win what that gut is eating?

When I read this my first concern was the kidneys and liver, so I did a search on Web MD and it seems they have a similar concern, but not much different then they have for a multitude of medicines. But they do have a concern about industrial grade DMSO and the non prescription amounts being used. I assume its because of the kidneys and liver. Sounds like a wonder drug, and I wonder why I have never heard of it before.

From WebMD
DMSO is safe when used as a prescription medication. Don't use products that are not prescribed by your health professional. There is concern that some non-prescription DMSO products might be “industrial grade” and are not intended for human use. They can contain impurities that can cause health effects. To make matters worse, DMSO readily penetrates the skin so it carries these impurities rapidly into the body.

Some side effects of taking DMSO by mouth or applying it to the skin include skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, vision problems, blood problems, and allergic reactions. DMSO also causes a garlic-like taste, and breath and body odor.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of DMSO during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Diabetes: There are reports that topical use of DMSO can change how insulin works in the body. If you use insulin to treat diabetes and also use DMSO, monitor your blood sugar closely. Insulin doses may need to be adjusted.

Liver problems: DMSO might harm the liver. If you have liver conditions and use DMSO, be sure to get liver function tests every 6 months.

Kidney problems: DMSO might harm the kidneys. Kidney function tests are recommended every 6 months if you use DMSO and have a kidney condition.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Don't use products that are not prescribed by your health professional.

Don't do things that cause you to need a health professional... :{)) I'm only speaking to principle, not usage.

Over the past forty years, more than 10,000 articles on the biologic implications of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) have appeared in the scientific literature and 30,000 articles on the chemistry of DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) have also been published. The results of these studies strongly support the view that DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is a truly significant new therapeutic principle.

In 1972 the National Academy of Sciences evaluated the scientific data on DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) and concluded it was a least as effective as currently approved treatments for three musculoskeletal inflammatory problems in man.

and I wonder why I have never heard of it before.

Where you been China. Your research return, left out the point that made me relevant to OP... inflammation... Which is in effect, heat. It gets down to whether you believe the body heals its self. We can all agree on that... but just not as fast as needed.

Of course I'll only use YOUR source...

inflammation.png

My point is, I wouldn't want anyone putting DMSO or ice on my DD. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to conclude the degenerative processes as described in the definition. Redness, heat, pain, loss of use. Routinely retarding the repairing process could lead to nerve damage and all kinds of the body's other work arounds. They will be getting proper rest one way or the other...The emotions will also intervene. Not to mention the guardian angles reactions.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
So your suggestion PC is to wait it out? Do nothing at all and it'll just get better with rest?

So far that has worked, she was pretty sore Sunday but everyday it has gotten better and today she is going to her batting lessons. I can understand not continually using ice as it will mask a more serious problem, but just those 20 minutes after the tournament I wouldn't think would be an issue. Maybe I"m wrong, that's why I asked :)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
So your suggestion PC is to wait it out? Do nothing at all and it'll just get better with rest?

So far that has worked, she was pretty sore Sunday but everyday it has gotten better and today she is going to her batting lessons. I can understand not continually using ice as it will mask a more serious problem, but just those 20 minutes after the tournament I wouldn't think would be an issue. Maybe I"m wrong, that's why I asked :)

Think most have said to keep a jacket on, and even in summer. Everyone is different so you gotta do what works best for you. But also, you can't just use ice, just because others have been doing it for years.

The big debate is over the mechanics that are injury free. The style stuff is ill-revelant. I would re-access the root cause of pain. Put a video up of her pitching.... you'll see the two schools of thought. I have a Pitcher/catcher... double trouble.

I see the Good Dr. is posting on here as well, would love to hear his suggestions, Mylil32 consider asking him..

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Correct me if I'm wrong PC, but isn't the use of DMSO common in the equine business?

For centuries... applied by caretakers without rubber gloves. But now you can buy it for everything from hemorrhoids to acne....

Speaking of hemorrhoidsl ... I was thinking of you today.... :{))

Green%20Monster%20Smothie.jpg

You can substitute Kale for the Spinach... 1/2 the price, last twice as long in the fridge, and the big secret is one serving = 256% of your daily vitamin C requirements. Alot Greener too !!!

Last edited:

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
These are GREAT!!! DD has used for two years now and we love it. The guy who distributes them is currently going out of business and is dumping his stock. I just ordered a new one with knee and ankle models as well, for about $10 apc.

Total Ice Therapy Ice Packs Cold Packs Ice Therapy Wrap inflammation Reliever Athletes Shoulder Ice Packs Shoulder Ice Wraps, Ice Shoulder Wrap, Knee Ice Pack, Knee Ice Wrap, Ankle, Elbow Ice Wrap, Back (800) 882-1967

Seems people want gel packs as they are modern. I have always found the ice I needed at tourneys and hotels but rarely a place to freeze the gel pack!! Get them while they last.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For centuries... applied by caretakers without rubber gloves. But now you can buy it for everything from hemorrhoids to acne....

Speaking of hemorrhoidsl ... I was thinking of you today.... :{))

Green%20Monster%20Smothie.jpg

You can substitute Kale for the Spinach... 1/2 the price, last twice as long in the fridge, and the big secret is one serving = 256% of your daily vitamin C requirements. Alot Greener too !!!

If this is a morning drink, the recipe is missing 2 essential ingredients - caffeine and sugar.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd