Youth Baseball Coach Decks Blue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Its crap like that. that is making umps very defensive without any reason whatsoever. Case in point over the weekend. 2 games same umps. Was great the entire time. Even offered them water since it was very hot. Joking around, laughing etc. Then what happens, there was a blatant clear as day bad call. HC calls time out to talk to the field ump respectfully, he stops the HC for no reason halfway to walking to him and says I'm not going to discuss anything with you (With a very defensive tone, angered tone). HC says can I and or you at least talk to the home ump. Again reply's no! My call is my call! You need to get back to your dugout or you can get out!,

What kind of crap is that. How are you going to from being cordial the entire time, to just being an rear for no reason at all.

One problem here could be "HC calls time out" ... HC can not "call" time out, only an Umpire can ... Is it possible the HC just walked onto the field without requesting or being granted a time out ? All he can do is request a time out and once (if) it is granted, then the HC may then approach the Umpire. From there he can request to speak to the Base Umpire if he wants to ... If the Dish Blue says he can speak to the Base Blue, then he can. A coach has no business on the field until the Blue calls time and allows it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Do think that often coaches take cues from how the Umpire runs the game.
Since umpires running games have a variance from lax to strict and somewhere in between...
Coaches may be less or more formal approaching things.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
One problem here could be "HC calls time out" ... HC can not "call" time out, only an Umpire can ... Is it possible the HC just walked onto the field without requesting or being granted a time out ? All he can do is request a time out and once (if) it is granted, then the HC may then approach the Umpire. From there he can request to speak to the Base Umpire if he wants to ... If the Dish Blue says he can speak to the Base Blue, then he can. A coach has no business on the field until the Blue calls time and allows it.
He may have been out of the dugout, but he was requesting time out, but if that was a problem he should have said so.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021
Your character during the contest is more important than a forced hand-shake after the game.
Duh. Not a soul is arguing that, but that doesn't mean the after game handshake is meaningless. LESS meaningful isn't the same as meaningLESS but you are trying to make them synonymous. That's the rub.

Jun 8, 2016
By the time a kid is 14 the handshake line is procedural, something they have just done since they have been 5 YO. Keep it, I don't really care one way or the other, but I doubt most are deriving any actual lessons from it...

Feb 13, 2021
MI
By the time a kid is 14 the handshake line is procedural, something they have just done since they have been 5 YO. Keep it, I don't really care one way or the other, but I doubt most are deriving any actual lessons from it...
Except for those that are new to team sports, not all 14U SB players have been playing since 6U, or maybe it is new to them. (If they have been playing for GS, for instance, or some other coach who thinks the whole procedure is "meaningless")

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Memories from it perhaps.
With certainty camaraderie from it!

Just commenting seems few people are talking about it like it's this this horrible event that happens when that's just not the case.
Lot of good vibes and Hello to friends and people haven't seen in a long time in that line.

Jun 8, 2016
Except for those that are new to team sports, not all 14U SB players have been playing since 6U, or maybe it is new to them. (If they have been playing for GS, for instance, or some other coach who thinks the whole procedure is "meaningless")
Ok sure I guess I should have put most. Like I said I don't care but lets not make this out to be a mission trip to Africa..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32