Youth Baseball Coach Decks Blue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2017
On Sunday,10u DGD was slapped in the face by an opposing team member in the after game high five line. On purpose, player basically said it was what she gets. The rest of the team was slapping the girls hands hard. One of our coaches stopped giving high fives because of the harshness of the hand slaps.

This team was one of the teams running the tournament. This particular teams’ manager was the league president. During the game the parents from the other team were making disparaging remarks about our girls physical attributes.

Our manager sent a statement to this league president addressing the issue. The league president/manager sent a conciliatory statement back saying it had been discussed at the after the game meeting, not appropriate behavior etc. etc. Neither our girls nor coaches received any apologies until our manager sent the statement today. This should have been addressed to us yesterday after their “meeting”.

Dec 11, 2010
I’m disgusted by the behavior of that coach. Any parent that didn’t already quit that team and demand a refund of dues is a tool.

What people think is good sportsmanship really isn’t.

The high five line is stupid and should be dumped.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m tired of the low level umpires I’m seeing. Do you know why there are so few good umpires? Because of crap like the article. Coaches and parents have driven off all the good umpires.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I’m disgusted by the behavior of that coach. Any parent that didn’t already quit that team and demand a refund of dues is a tool.

What people think is good sportsmanship really isn’t.

The high five line is stupid and should be dumped.
I had hoped Covid killed the high five line for good, but alas, it has returned.

Forced sportsmanship isn't sportsmanship at all. If players who know each other want to exchange a few words postgame, cool, but I really don't see a need for it to be a team thing.

Dec 11, 2010
I forget which member came up with that- I remember thinking at the time “I don’t know about that”, but with time I have come to think he’s right!

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
I had hoped Covid killed the high five line for good, but alas, it has returned.

Forced sportsmanship isn't sportsmanship at all. If players who know each other want to exchange a few words postgame, cool, but I really don't see a need for it to be a team thing.

This probably should be a thread on its own.

1.) Forced sportsmanship ? Parents, coaches and the like are lucky to have an opportunity to educate, shape and lead by example ... 10U athletes (and much older - aka Freshman 15) would eat ice cream for dinner if left to their own devices. IMHO it hurts no one (minus Covid19 protocol) to show them that it is just a game, leave it on the field and tomorrows another day.
2.) It also serves as a way to make new friends (great catch #8 !) and not burn bridges.
3.) It's a team sport, that's why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478