Youth Baseball Coach Decks Blue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Its crap like that. that is making umps very defensive without any reason whatsoever. Case in point over the weekend. 2 games same umps. Was great the entire time. Even offered them water since it was very hot. Joking around, laughing etc. Then what happens, there was a blatant clear as day bad call. HC calls time out to talk to the field ump respectfully, he stops the HC for no reason halfway to walking to him and says I'm not going to discuss anything with you (With a very defensive tone, angered tone). HC says can I and or you at least talk to the home ump. Again reply's no! My call is my call! You need to get back to your dugout or you can get out!,

What kind of crap is that. How are you going to from being cordial the entire time, to just being an rear for no reason at all.

Hrmm, not sure which way to go with a reaction to this....

making umps very defensive without any reason whatsoever.

I think assault is a VERY GOOD reason to be defensive.

2 games same umps.... since it was very hot...there was a blatant clear as day bad call. (Ooooh, please fill us in on what the call was) HC calls time out to talk to the field ump respectfully, (Perhaps it was, perhaps not, not making a judgment one way or the other) he stops the HC for no reason halfway to walking to him and says I'm not going to discuss anything with you (With a very defensive tone, angered tone(Again, no way to judge what the tone was, but remember this is the end of a hot dbl header, I know my fuse can get short. ESPECIALLY if I know I kicked a call and there is no way to reverse it). HC says can I and or you at least talk to the home ump. Again reply's no! My call is my call! (This is the correct thing to say if it was a judgment, an umpire will live and die by what he ruled and strive to be better the next time. But, if he reversed himself then every HC would ask for a change on every call that was close) You need to get back to your dugout or you can get out!, (Warning given that the discussion is over, though an argument can and should be made that the BU should have at least let the HC have his/her say.

What kind of crap is that. How are you going to from being cordial the entire time, to just being an rear for no reason at all.

Which is a very good argument for umpires to just keep to themselves and not be any more cordial than saying hello at the plate meeting and "Let's have a good game" If the BU had not been, as you said," Joking around, laughing etc", then he would have come off as much more professional when things turned southwards a bit.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Your character during the contest is more important than a forced hand-shake after the game.
your character is molded by the little things, even (or especially) when you don't want to do something. a handshake, a Yes Ma'am or No, Sir, But, I have a feeling that automatic niceties such as common manners, carry little weight with folks who think that a handshake line is akin to forced labor, and we should never have to do something we maybe don't want to do at the time.

Oct 2, 2017
Hrmm, not sure which way to go with a reaction to this....

making umps very defensive without any reason whatsoever.

I think assault is a VERY GOOD reason to be defensive.

2 games same umps.... since it was very hot...there was a blatant clear as day bad call. (Ooooh, please fill us in on what the call was) HC calls time out to talk to the field ump respectfully, (Perhaps it was, perhaps not, not making a judgment one way or the other) he stops the HC for no reason halfway to walking to him and says I'm not going to discuss anything with you (With a very defensive tone, angered tone(Again, no way to judge what the tone was, but remember this is the end of a hot dbl header, I know my fuse can get short. ESPECIALLY if I know I kicked a call and there is no way to reverse it). HC says can I and or you at least talk to the home ump. Again reply's no! My call is my call! (This is the correct thing to say if it was a judgment, an umpire will live and die by what he ruled and strive to be better the next time. But, if he reversed himself then every HC would ask for a change on every call that was close) You need to get back to your dugout or you can get out!, (Warning given that the discussion is over, though an argument can and should be made that the BU should have at least let the HC have his/her say.

Which is a very good argument for umpires to just keep to themselves and not be any more cordial than saying hello at the plate meeting and "Let's have a good game" If the BU had not been, as you said," Joking around, laughing etc", then he would have come off as much more professional when things turned southwards a bit.
First of all, majority of coaches are not assaulting anyone.

I call BS, That's an excuse, Don't forget everyone out there is dealing with the same weather. If a person is respectful and simply calls time out to discuss a call, there is not justification for being that way, due to weather. We expect players to control themselves who have been out there for hours, no matter the weather, but grown adults can't? I and the coaches on the team respect umps and are not just some disrespectful a**

Runner on first, ball hit throw made to 2nd base. Called safe. Reason? - Ump said player slid under. UMMM its called a force out.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Your character during the contest is more important than a forced hand-shake after the game.

I’m pretty sure your character is just as important, if not more so, off the field and after the game. Why do you think coaches don’t want to recruit players who have a controversial social media presence, treat their parents or coaches like crap, or are a bad teammate? Because it speaks volumes about their character.

Jun 8, 2016
I’m pretty sure your character is just as important, if not more so, off the field and after the game. Why do you think coaches don’t want to recruit players who have a controversial social media presence, treat their parents or coaches like crap, or are a bad teammate? Because it speaks volumes about their character.
I would hope the reason is based on purely character alone, but if we are talking about big time college football or basketball part of me( the pessismistic side...which really isn't a side but more like a full course meal) thinks that they just don't want their program dragged through the mud and it have a negative impact on their W/L..

Dec 15, 2018
CT

I call BS, That's an excuse, Don't forget everyone out there is dealing with the same weather. If a person is respectful and simply calls time out to discuss a call, there is not justification for being that way, due to weather. We expect players to control themselves no matter the weather, but grown adults can't? I and the coaches on the team respect umps and are not just some disrespectful a**

Runner on first, ball hit throw made to 2nd base. Called safe. Reason? - Ump said player slid under. UMMM its called a force out.

As described, yeah that seems weird. Coach can change the arc by saying "I have a rule question" (to make it clear he's not arguing judgement). Not sure it would have made a difference, but that's my advice to coach.

Getting a situation / rule wrong is different than a bad judgement call. (But, sometimes what seems like a "blatantly bad call" isn't....or only appears to be one from one direction. Just last night I had a steal attempt where the throw beat the runner by three steps, but the SS just held the glove in place, and the runner slid right by, no tag. To the third base side coaches/fans/dugout it seemed like I had made a ridiculous call. But the coach came out, I explained what I saw, and he was cool with it.).

Feb 13, 2021
MI

I call BS, That's an excuse, Don't forget everyone out there is dealing with the same weather. If a person is respectful and simply calls time out to discuss a call, there is not justification for being that way, due to weather. We expect players to control themselves no matter the weather, but grown adults can't? I and the coaches on the team respect umps and are not just some disrespectful a**

I agree, most coaches are not assaulting everyone. But that doesn't mean umpires can just ignore that it happens. I am going to try to not get political, but how many times do we as a society react to the outlier? To the one-off thing that happens and say "SAVE THE (planet/whales/children, fill in your favorite cause)"

You might call BS, and I was not making excuses, just stating facts. There is a HUGE difference between the way that players and or coaches experience the heat and the way umpires do. Half of each inning in a dug out, catchers can get out of the gear, not needing to be focused and concentrating on every pitch. (Sheesh, that does sound whiny, sorry about that, but the facts are the heat takes more out of an umpire than it does a player or coach)

If that was the situation, that a rule was misapplied, then I agree. It was a horrible call. Once the BU said the runner was under the slide the HC should have said, "But it is a force out". If the BU still doesn't reconsider or at least have a discussion, then the HC is justified in going directly to the PU (who is the crew chief in almost all cases in youth play) and say he/she wishes for a rules clarification.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Meh, it's young adults emotional after a heated contest; I try not to judge.
Yes

No one is saying let's not be good sports. I am more concerned with sportsmanship during the game than what happens afterward. I am just saying I can think of 5 betters ways to show sportsmanship after the game than a forced high five and "good game".

We sang songs with the other team. We have done cheers with the other team. We have done prayer circles with the other team. We have exchanged items with the other team.

Force the other players to say "good game" to the other team whether they mean it or not? Meaningless.
Don't think anybody stipulated to me or any of the teams I played on what we had to say. For that matter don't have to say anything to each other 🤷‍♀️ just have to have neutral passing.
As a player to me it is an opportunity to interact and say compliments was how I took it.
It is also an opportunity to earn and show respect and to find out who is disrespectful.
Certainly some players and coaches out there I would not want on the same team as me.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Agree about character but would add character at the Ballpark on and off the field is important.

(which maybe a stretch for some characters 😎)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Its crap like that. that is making umps very defensive without any reason whatsoever. Case in point over the weekend. 2 games same umps. Was great the entire time. Even offered them water since it was very hot. Joking around, laughing etc. Then what happens, there was a blatant clear as day bad call. HC calls time out to talk to the field ump respectfully, he stops the HC for no reason halfway to walking to him and says I'm not going to discuss anything with you (With a very defensive tone, angered tone). HC says can I and or you at least talk to the home ump. Again reply's no! My call is my call! You need to get back to your dugout or you can get out!,

That is a person in a position of authority unable to handle being faced by their own failure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan