Youth Baseball Coach Decks Blue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is our preferred method and has been well received. We try and pull kids aside when possible (during the game or after) and commend them on a play or sportsmanship.

This is similar to the NFL where players seek out other players that they respect after the game. It is genuine and not forced.

A much better scenario is when there are captains before the game (coin toss) and pleasantries/handshake/fist bumps are exchanged between teams.

Those never felt phony.
Never ???
That's hard to believe that it is never Phony...
Regardless of how it felt

May 17, 2012
Sure as heck not going to stop doing things that bring people together just because there's some bad apples in the bunch kick the Bad Apple to the curb.

Meh, it's young adults emotional after a heated contest; I try not to judge.

No one is saying let's not be good sports. I am more concerned with sportsmanship during the game than what happens afterward. I am just saying I can think of 5 betters ways to show sportsmanship after the game than a forced high five and "good game".

We sang songs with the other team. We have done cheers with the other team. We have done prayer circles with the other team. We have exchanged items with the other team.

Force the other players to say "good game" to the other team whether they mean it or not? Meaningless.

Jul 19, 2021
I am talking about the hard slaps, the fake (sike!) high five, the name-calling, and the verbal bullying that takes place in handshake lines?
You act like these are common occurrences. Do you stop driving to the store if there is a wreck outside the entrance one day? Nope. Why not? Because it was a one time deal. Do you stop holding the door for a lady entering a store if one fails to say thank you? Nope. (Well with you, who knows). Why shouldn't you? Because it's a one time deal and you shouldn't let one lady's rudeness ruin it for all of the other ladies out there who appreciate it. Just like you shouldn't do away with the handshake line that many many girls like and appreciate because one or two kids over the past umpteen years does something inappropriate. That's dumb.

Oct 2, 2017
Its crap like that. that is making umps very defensive without any reason whatsoever. Case in point over the weekend. 2 games same umps. Was great the entire time. Even offered them water since it was very hot. Joking around, laughing etc. Then what happens, there was a blatant clear as day bad call. HC calls time out to talk to the field ump respectfully, he stops the HC for no reason halfway to walking to him and says I'm not going to discuss anything with you (With a very defensive tone, angered tone). HC says can I and or you at least talk to the home ump. Again reply's no! My call is my call! You need to get back to your dugout or you can get out!,

What kind of crap is that. How are you going to from being cordial the entire time, to just being an rear for no reason at all.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
The NHL? The group of people that sanction fighting in their sport? You think that's sportsmanship?

Get out of here with that nonsense.
I mentioned NHL because Vertigo brought them up. That being said, I had already been thinking about all of the other levels of hockey (which I officiate} that have the handshake line written into the rules of the game. If players in a hard-played, physical game such as that can put everything aside after the contest is over and exchange pleasantries, why can't the participants in a 'civilized' game such as SB?

And yes, even in the NHL, where you say fighting is sanctioned (although that shows just how behind the times you may be), I would say it shows EXTREME sportsmanship to be able to. after the fact, recognize that what happens on the ice/diamond/court/field stays there and we are all just playing a game.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Even if the team you played against exhibited zero sportsmanship during the game and now you are forced to high-five them afterward? It's fake and it's meaningless.

No matter what behavior is displayed during the contest you think that forced high-fives afterward are sportsmanship?

It's even more important in that situation ... There are more lessons to be taught on a ball field than how to throw, run & hit. Have class, take the high road, be the better people and don't lower yourselves to their level.

Suppose the next teams (and their fans) show up to play the game after you, they don't know anything about what transpired during the game and see YOUR team walking out without the high 5 ... YOUR team and every athlete on your team just got the bad rep. Think about who usually gets the flag thrown in a football game, the player who starts the melee or the one who loses his cool and reacts.

IMHO; if you teach them how to act when they are under your supervision, they will make good choices and know how to act when down the road they set off on their own. "The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching" Coach John Wooden

May 17, 2012
It's even more important in that situation ... There are more lessons to be taught on a ball field than how to throw, run & hit. Have class, take the high road, be the better people and don't lower yourselves to their level.

Suppose the next teams (and their fans) show up to play the game after you, they don't know anything about what transpired during the game and see YOUR team walking out without the high 5 ... YOUR team and every athlete on your team just got the bad rep. Think about who usually gets the flag thrown in a football game, the player who starts the melee or the one who loses his cool and reacts.

IMHO; if you teach them how to act when they are under your supervision, they will make good choices and know how to act when down the road they set off on their own. "The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching" Coach John Wooden

Your character during the contest is more important than a forced hand-shake after the game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan