Youth Baseball Coach Decks Blue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Admittedly, there were times I wanted to say what Tanner Boyle says in the Bad News Bears, but I always bit my tongue. You never knew when you would run into that person again, so sportsmanship was always the better option. As @Vertigo said, if NHL teams can do it after the end of a bruising 7 game series, softball players can show a little sportsmanship too.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I think if professional hockey teams who beat the crap out of each other and get into fist fights almost every game can leave it on the ice and shake hands afterward, then youth SB teams should be able to, as well. Be an adult and be a good coach - actually, just be a good person! Lead by example. Stop making excuses. There is definitely not enough of that being seen by these kids anymore.
Not only at the NHL level, but at ALL levels of hockey, the post game handshake is actually written into the rules, including mechanics for the officials on where they are to be positioned during the line-up. If such physical games as hockey and rugby can do it, why would we not teach children to be able to leave the GAME (and it is just a game at this level) on the field?

Jul 19, 2021
They should move the handshake to before the contest to make it more meaningful. As others have pointed out the actions carried out during the game carry more weight.

You want me to tip regardless of the service received, as if I am obligated. It's dishonest.

You may or may not be surprised at all of the BS that takes place in a handshake line.
You seem as petty as the teenagers you coach. I think they have turned you into one instead of the adult that is supposed to lead by example.

May 17, 2012
You seem as petty as the teenagers you coach. I think they have turned you into one instead of the adult that is supposed to lead by example.

So you want fake forced sportsmanship after the game even if it's not meaningful?

I am talking about the hard slaps, the fake (sike!) high five, the name-calling, and the verbal bullying that takes place in handshake lines?

May 17, 2012
Not only at the NHL level, but at ALL levels of hockey, the post game handshake is actually written into the rules, including mechanics for the officials on where they are to be positioned during the line-up. If such physical games as hockey and rugby can do it, why would we not teach children to be able to leave the GAME (and it is just a game at this level) on the field?

The NHL? The group of people that sanction fighting in their sport? You think that's sportsmanship?

Get out of here with that nonsense.

Jan 25, 2022
I'd much rather opposing coaches/players (especially coaches..players I can see not doing it from an "in the moment competitiveness" sort of thing) cheer on a player for a good play. That is real sportsmanship that I rarely see..
Our high school team had a game this season where the shortstop, who was only in her second year playing ball (previously a cheerleader) but is an absolute runaway train savage in all facets, basically chased a popup well into CF and caught it over the shoulder. It was ESPN caliber. It was the third out, and the opposing coach stood at 3B and slowly clapped overhead until she left the field. I thought it was pretty awesome.

Myself and the other MS coaches will always acknowledge an opposing player in the high five line if we recognize one that pitched a great game or made a great play, hit, etc. We've lost a lot of games to these teams, but I think any chance to recognize a kid for a job well done is worth the effort.

Jun 8, 2016
The majority of us are going to be good roll models and show respect for ourselves, our team, and the officials and the game.

Good sportsmen enjoy sports and know how to end a game on a positive note, whether or not they won. Threats, anger, criticism, and other negative expressions are not acceptable. Conceding graciously is a sign of a good person.

Sure doesn't take much to find out who the good coaches/people are and who are not. GS should go away.

GS, feel free to NOT engage in good sportsmanship. Those of us who do, don't really want you around. Go be a sore loser and sulk in the dug out. Go be the weasel that coaches cheap shots and also berates/harasses the team for 30 minutes after the game. Go home, kick the dog, yell at the wife and drink yourself to sleep on the couch.
Not sure why you are assuming he does any of the negative things he mentioned. He only mentioned them because he has obviously seen that behavior, as have I. That said I have no issue with the line only know that your players may have to put up with BS from players whose coach probably sets a bad example.

May 27, 2013
You want me to tip regardless of the service received, as if I am obligated. It's dishonest.

I don’t know - maybe I’m different, but I still tip regardless (obviously not as much compared to great service). I honestly don’t know what kind of day that person is having at work or in their personal life and realize I’ve had many bad days myself (but will still get paid my full salary either way). I just try to give them the benefit of the doubt and realize tips are typically not much “extra” for them.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So you want fake forced sportsmanship after the game even if it's not meaningful?
You can call it fake if you want and perhaps at times it is. I'm going to call it composure.

I am talking about the hard slaps, the fake (sike!) high five, the name-calling, and the verbal bullying that takes place in handshake lines?
Junk Behavior can be removed from a team. Those are the ways to find out who should be removed.

Sure as heck not going to stop doing things that bring people together just because there's some bad apples in the bunch kick the Bad Apple to the curb.

May 17, 2012
Myself and the other MS coaches will always acknowledge an opposing player in the high five line if we recognize one that pitched a great game or made a great play, hit, etc. We've lost a lot of games to these teams, but I think any chance to recognize a kid for a job well done is worth the effort.

This is our preferred method and has been well received. We try and pull kids aside when possible (during the game or after) and commend them on a play or sportsmanship.

This is similar to the NFL where players seek out other players that they respect after the game. It is genuine and not forced.

A much better scenario is when there are captains before the game (coin toss) and pleasantries/handshake/fist bumps are exchanged between teams. Those never felt phony.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma