Wrist question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
When my dd strides out and her arm is at the 3 oclock position sometimes her palm is facing the catcher wrist is cocked. Is this what you guys refer to as a cupped wrist? I think this is a problem that needs to be fixed. Are you familiar with this flaw? How do we fix this?

Apr 12, 2015
Is this wrist extension causing problems downstream in the motion? If not, I wouldn't worry about it unless it is causing her pain or discomfort.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Is this what you guys refer to as a cupped wrist?

Cupped wrist would be the opposite (flexion).

Has your daughter been coached to do "wrist flips" at release?
Sounds like she may be pre-loading her wrist (extension) to get ready to "flip".

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
Possibly....I have noticed that when her wrist is pointing to the ground and fingers to catcher at 3 she is more palm up/palm towards third at 9. When her wrist is "flexed" at 3 she tends to push the ball down to 9 and then gets inside the ball. Its like her hand corrects itself but because it has to correct she loses her load.

Is this wrist extension causing problems downstream in the motion? If not, I wouldn't worry about it unless it is causing her pain or discomfort.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
never been taught to do wrist flips

Cupped wrist would be the opposite (flexion).

Has your daughter been coached to do "wrist flips" at release?
Sounds like she may be pre-loading her wrist (extension) to get ready to "flip".

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
never been taught to do wrist flips

THANK GOODNESS!!!

One of my pitching students warms up her pitching in high school practices along side several pitchers that start with that damned wrist-flips warm-up. Amazing how that lingers. And THEY think my student is the odd duck with her IR, brush-assisted arm-whip, and such.

Jun 12, 2015
I have yet to see a 10U pitcher around here that doesn't warm up with wrist flips. We used to but we stopped awhile back.

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
To be honest my dd starts her warm ups with the lock it in drill. This seems to satisfy coaches which require the "wrist flip" portion of a warm up.

I have yet to see a 10U pitcher around here that doesn't warm up with wrist flips. We used to but we stopped awhile back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06