Why is it important to know how fast your DD pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
Funny, 3 pages of actual results from a college recruiting camp and I only see a couple 60+ mph's. They must be going to the wrong parks. Just ask anyone that practices at my local park. There are at least a half dozen girls throwing 60. Just ask their dads. :D

The numbers are fairly meaningless with out knowing age. You'll have girls from 13-18 at those camps. Doubtful that most bluechips even go to them. There are girls that throw in the 60's and even 70's, but I'm sure they're already verbaled/signed.

Sure, when I hear a 12yo's dad telling me his girl has a 58mph FB, I chuckle inside. But the ones who really do, they get noticed. You better believe coaches have those guns at tryouts. If you've got your choice of the girl who can throw 48-50 with movement, or the girl who throws 40-42 with movement; who do you pick up?

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD is 13 and playing 14U. She is 5'2 and weighs 105 lbs, so she is certainly not big for her age.

Her pitching coach puts the gun on the kids once a winter to see how they progressed from the previous winter. DD hit 52 MPH consistantly, which is above average, not outstanding.

She does throw a screwball (which occasionally turns into a screw/rise) with a tremendous change-up. 52MPH looks like 60 MPH after the CU. I just love seeing the big 2nd year 14U or 1st year 16U girls swing and miss the CU and bang their bats being frustrated they were so far out in front of the pitch.

Sep 3, 2009
No 13 year olds at these NFCA camps. And very few freshman. Almost all sophomores and juniors. This is the association of college fastpitch coaches and very reputable.

I know who they are, and yes, very reputable. But I wouldn't use their numbers as the bar, average sure. The ones who truly do throw in the high 60's and even 70's are most likely not attending these camps; they don't need to.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Went and watched Rising Stars showcase and ESPN/Rise showcase this winter. Easily saw over 100 different teams from all over the country. I do not have a radar gun. What I can say is that you knew when a legit 60+ pitcher was pitching. All you had to do was count the number of coaches watching. I believe most pitchers were high 50's with varying degrees of "movement" pitches. The few that threw harder, were your D1 pitchers. We could discuss all day how fast kids really throw. Reality is the eyeball test. You'll know it when you see a D1 caliber pitcher. Heck, I could probably radar my 12 YO DD when the ball is 3 ft from her release and claim she is throwing 58 mph right now. Do I really think she throws that hard? Nope.

Jan 25, 2011
learn control first

Cat said in a interview a 68MPH fast ball goes out of the park faster than a 64MPH fast ball. I use to be that dad with the radar gun. All ever heard is throw fast and than learn control . Threw that advice out the window. My dd might not be fast but boy can she hit her locations keeping the batter guessing. At a clinic with Cat she said she likes spins and control more than speed who am I to , not agree with her.

Jan 27, 2011
Hi, new to forum and found this post.
While knowing your DD speeds, you and/or pitching coach should be more concerned about the number of revolutions or spin your DD has. As someone stated earlier, movement is key. More spin = more movement. Some pitchers may be able to throw HARD, but their spin decreases. If they decrease speed a little, they tend to increase their spin. The faster a ball is pitched, the faster it leaves the park.
Yes, college coaches do look at the pitching speeds, but they look at the movement at that speed as well. My DD is going through the "recruiting" process now and the first question they ask are grades, then its pitch speed. Without the grades. doesn't matter how fast DD can throw.
If DD is serious about pitching; find a good coach! Our PC uses video, radar gun & something called a RevFire (I think that measures spins & speed). PC does NOT use these very often. But he does like them as evaluation tools to see progress. Also, be careful listening to individuals bragging about pitching speeds. Those who can, do not talk about it, but show it on the field. Those who can't, brag about speed and then have an excuse as to why they can't do it on the field.

Sep 3, 2009
70s, doubt many of those, maybe 5 in the nation. Ricketts again is my model.

Certainly 70's isn't the norm, but it's not quite as rare as you think. Plenty of current and former, are in the mix. Right up into the mid 70's. The average, certainly not. Major heat FB, with a wicked off speed pitch, that's why these girl have sub 1.0 era's.

But I would not in any way call the girls who attend the camps average, esp. with the GPA requirements. Only about 2% can reach the bar you set and the rest are average! Geez. No wonder the girls are stressed out. Never good enough.

I would stand by average. The ones throwing 75 in a private tryout, are getting offers pretty much on the spot. The ones who have trouble flirting with the mid 50's, don't get enough playing time, and might be lucky to play juco ball. Then there's everone else. I was only referring to the ones actively in the recruiting process, looking to play college ball. Not the high end of the scale, and not the low end of the scale. We can call it whatever you like.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I was only referring to the ones actively in the recruiting process, looking to play college ball. Not the high end of the scale, and not the low end of the scale. We can call it whatever you like.

How about we refer to them as "The Majority"?:rolleyes:

Sep 3, 2009
How about we refer to them as "The Majority"?:rolleyes:

Are they? I wouldn't think they are. I'm certainly not discounting their talent, or skill. The sad reality is that the majority are those who will never pitch for a college or university; they simply don't have what it takes. I think this group is the majority. Very few of these ladies will ever get to play college ball; and there is only so many spots to go around.

But if you want to call them something, call them late for dinner. But doubtful they are the majority.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck