Why D1 ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2023
I doubt anyone here handed their 8 year old a bat thinking of ROI. If you did, that’s on you. Given we know 1.8% of HS play D1, it’s a bad ROI for 49 out of 50 families - strictly cash flow speaking. If you make it, 12 scholarships a team if fully funded. If you spend the money to pursue a D1 dream, there are no mysteries here.

If one is fortunate enough to be in the softball 1%, well that kid did something very rare. There are schools where D1 pitchers (and others) are getting full rides and those schools are 85k a year. Just like baseball kids get drafted of HS. That ROI is great but limited to a tiny group. These are unicorns in youth sports and yes everyone else’s strictly cash ROI is terrible.
Many D1 pitchers do not get full rides also. I know 1 who will be a senior. She pitched a total of 8 innings her junior year. She is in debt and rarely plays.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Many D1 pitchers do not get full rides also. I know 1 who will be a senior. She pitched a total of 8 innings her junior year. She is in debt and rarely plays.
So, what I'm hearing is you don't think D1 is a good choice. Gotcha...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023
So, what I'm hearing is you don't think D1 is a good choice. Gotcha...
I'm saying you have to weigh everything. My granddaughter is not a pitcher. She will get more academic money at 3 D3 schools than she will at a few D1 with athletic and academic money. Go to YouTube and search for "A day in the life of a D1 softballer". It is eye opening for sure. My granddaughter is graduating high school with her associate degree. She is dually enrolled. She can earn her master degree in 4 years at the D3 level. She can also study abroad and do some great internships. A D1 player transferred to one of these D3 schools so that she will graduate with less debt and so she could get involved with internships and study abroad opportunities for a semester. There are so many things to take into consideration.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I'm saying you have to weigh everything. My granddaughter is not a pitcher. She will get more academic money at 3 D3 schools than she will at a few D1 with athletic and academic money. Go to YouTube and search for "A day in the life of a D1 softballer". It is eye opening for sure. My granddaughter is graduating high school with her associate degree. She is dually enrolled. She can earn her master degree in 4 years at the D3 level. She can also study abroad and do some great internships. A D1 player transferred to one of these D3 schools so that she will graduate with less debt and so she could get involved with internships and study abroad opportunities for a semester. There are so many things to take into consideration.
That sounds like what she wants, so it's the right move for her. My daughter wanted to continue high-level softball in college and possibly make it a part of her career. She will be 21 when she graduates with her BA/BS. There will be plenty of time for working for the rest of her life, so if she can continue to play the sport for which she has tremendous passion, I am all for it.

Jul 19, 2021
So basically D1 bad, D3 good. Got it.

May 27, 2013
The D3 schools are giving my granddaughter in state tuition plus full tuition paid (4.0 unweighted GPA plus will have her associate degree when she graduates HS). The 4 D1 are all private schools as well and she would need to take out about 17-20k in loans each year after applying athletic and academic money. The D1 schools are by far more expensive. One program has 2 D1 players who transferred to this D3 program because they didn't want to graduate with 60k or more in debt. One player stated she was losing her love for the game, because at the D1 level it's simply a business relationship she has with the coaches. It's an actual job playing D1 she said. My granddaughter wants to study abroad for a semester and earn her master degree in 4 years. She will not be able to do that at the D1 level. D3 does not lack for talent by any means. You can find D1 players who transferred to good D3 programs. Those who need to make a decision concerning accepting a D1, D2, or D3 offer, may be evaluating finances, academics, part time employment, studying abroad, etc. My son does not want to take out loans each year just so my granddaughter can say she played D1. People need to look at rosters as well. I've seen and know girls who ONLY pinch hit or were pinch runners all 4 years. Remember that there are only 8 positions after the pitcher. An average D1 roster is 21. I've looked at rosters of teams where girls did not play whatsoever 1st and 2nd year. Their bios stated dug out duties. Remember those who do not play must put in the same amount of work that the starters put in.
Just curious to know which D3 programs are covering full tuition that is not “needs based.” If this is merit money - which schools - or at least which conferences?

Jan 20, 2023
Just curious to know which D3 programs are covering full tuition that is not “needs based.” If this is merit money - which schools - or at least which conferences?

I know a kid in the ODAC getting a full tuition merit scholarship - athlete but not softball.

Sep 10, 2023
Widener University offers full paid merit scholarships. Not need based. Stockton University as well with a combo of 2 scholarships and if out of state you can get in state tuition. WIlson College offers full paid scholarships. It's a combo of 2 scholarships which can be stacked. Kings College offers the top 5% of applicatants a full paid each year I believe they said, but they also have a very high merit award/scholarship, which can be stacked on top of another that makes it full paid. Eastern University offers full paid tuition at time of application to the Templeton Honors College, which is an incredible program. There are 4 more. I have to ask my grandaughter. I would research the schools you might be interested in.

May 27, 2013
Widener University offers full paid merit scholarships. Not need based. Stockton University as well with a combo of 2 scholarships and if out of state you can get in state tuition. WIlson College offers full paid scholarships. It's a combo of 2 scholarships which can be stacked. Kings College offers the top 5% of applicatants a full paid each year I believe they said, but they also have a very high merit award/scholarship, which can be stacked on top of another that makes it full paid. Eastern University offers full paid tuition at time of application to the Templeton Honors College, which is an incredible program. There are 4 more. I have to ask my grandaughter. I would research the schools you might be interested in.
My kids are already in college. But makes sense now looking at those schools because the tuition is a lot less expensive than I would have imagined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zs052805