While in Colorado...who you watching/following?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Final time in Colorado with my daughter who is headed off to college. Their 18U team hit 27 HRs in 9 games... every girl in the lineup 1-10 had at least one. Bats are just too juiced these days and the ball does not spin in CO. But good pitching and D still wins games and championships. Our org's 16u team actually hit 30 HRs in their 10 games-- just silly video game numbers putting up 20 runs on teams effortlessly.

They need to use reduced flight balls.

And the ground was very hard...like concrete.
Wow!!! That's insane. Which tourney/division? My DD never hit a HR at Colorado. I think the most HR's in a tourney DD's team had might have been 6.

May 18, 2019
Wow!!! That's insane. Which tourney/division? My DD never hit a HR at Colorado. I think the most HR's in a tourney DD's team had might have been 6.
We had one girl with 8. In fairness she's a D1 commit and most of them were no doubters but she wasn't the only one with those kinds of numbers.

Nov 19, 2020
Which tourney/division?
My daughter was playing Power Pool at Sparkler after a week of hitting HRs during International Challenge.
Then catching bullpen @ IDT where every player is P5/ 4 Gatorade POY.
The roster is normally 18 but they only had 11 for each team this summer with Team USA camp and some injuries.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
In last year's IDT, my daughter's team hit and gave up 19 HRs in 12 games. Every field was a 200' fence with those temporary fences. The previous week, they were at Team New Jersey. They hit one OTF HR and one inside the park and gave up zero. The main difference was the fences were 225" away and between 8-10' tall.

Dec 19, 2021
In 8 18u Power Pool games, DDs team hit 24 homers and gave up 15. Many of those were popups that would have been easy catches at lower elevation, although there were plenty of no-doubters too. One of DDs teammates hit one that one-hopped the warning track of the 320' fence. ? There were several at and over the fence catches and a couple drops.

As a comparison, a few weeks prior they played a PGF invite in SoCal with 220' fences and in the same 8 games hit 0 dingers and gave up 1.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
In 8 18u Power Pool games, DDs team hit 24 homers and gave up 15. Many of those were popups that would have been easy catches at lower elevation, although there were plenty of no-doubters too. One of DDs teammates hit one that one-hopped the warning track of the 320' fence. ? There were several at and over the fence catches and a couple drops.

As a comparison, a few weeks prior they played a PGF invite in SoCal with 220' fences and in the same 8 games hit 0 dingers and gave up 1.
How was the comparison of competition faced in Colorado compared to the pgf invite? I want to guess the pgf invite might have been better talent but not sure what competition you're playing in Colorado ?‍♀️

Nov 19, 2020
How was the comparison of competition faced in Colorado compared to the pgf invite? I want to guess the pgf invite might have been better talent but not sure what competition you're playing in Colorado ?‍♀️
Similar competition /same teams that we faced at PGF Qualifier a couple weeks ago.

Better competition at IDT than at Power Pool but with similar results compared to the PGF Qualifier. The ball left the park way too easily... fun for photo ops with arms full of softballs but it was not fun for the pitchers...including the very best ones in the nation.

Dec 19, 2021
I think the Sparkler Power Pool competition was better in the final 16, but similar prior to that. DD started in the TV bracket which are all great teams. Went 3-1 and lost the one by 1 run. They beat a TN Mojo team that pitched 4 girls (OK, OK, AR, and MI commits) 8-0 in bracket play. Finally ran into a hot TX Hotshots team that knocked them out. Would have been nice to have our #1A pitcher, but knee surgery said otherwise. She is their down-ball pitcher that just kills the low corners with the occasional rise. The others are more rise pitchers, which doesn't work well in CO and their styles arent that different from each other.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I was talking about movement pitches in regards to hitting in Colorado this past weekend with my daughter. She said that none of the pitchers they faced had good movement on their pitches in Colorado. Colorado is a pitchers nightmare, the balls flies like a rocket and the air also really negates the movement on the pitches also.

Aug 3, 2016
Daughter's last Colorado and frankly glad we’re never going back. Same old crap, umps squeezing the zone while the 200’ fence is 4’ tall and every lazy fly ball ends up over it. Hadn't given up a HR all Summer (and only 2 during HS) and suddenly can't make it through a game without multiple HRs. So stupid. How do coaches even evaluate hitters in Colorado when a team's nine hitter suddenly resembles Barry Bonds?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl