Which pitching rubber?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
Our league is having to buy a new pitching rubber. We purchased a $20 with the 3 spicks in the bottom. It lasted 1 week and broke while being pulled up. We have 3 different age groups using this one field so we have to move the pitching rubber from 35' , 40' , and 43'. Know that they have to be moved a lot, does anyone have a brand and model they highly recommend. Hopefully one that last more than 1 week. Thanks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I know the one you have. After they break, I drill a few holes in them (4 or 5), and get the longest Texas tacks, that I can find. Then, recess the holes a little bit and drive those spikes through the rubber and into the ground. I haven't had one tear up, in 20 years.

I forget my pitching plates and leave them at the field, and then, I have to start all over again.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We have had good results with the one Riseball recommended. You can also buy longer spikes at Home Depot or Lowes - just make sure they fit through the holes.

May 17, 2012
I agree with riseball. The alternative is the anchor style ones but you have to dig them out and it's a PITA in my opinion.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Our old rec league bought and installed these. They bought 3 stanchions per field and extra end caps for them. They're easy and quick to move but a little pricey.1033465c.jpg

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Amy,
Look around for shop/stall mat. I have 3/8" thick for gyms and flat surfaces, and have several 1 inch thick plates for outdoors. I paid very little for the 3/8's mat and lucked out and have all the 1 inch material I could ever need.

Ken

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Our old rec league bought and installed these. They bought 3 stanchions per field and extra end caps for them. They're easy and quick to move but a little pricey.View attachment 5408

We just installed these at our field and they seem to work well, especially if a little time is taken to wet and pack down the dirt over the plugs. We also put down clay bricks and set it up so the tops of the receivers are just below the clay, so the caps set flush on the bricks. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
We just installed these at our field and they seem to work well, especially if a little time is taken to wet and back down the areas around the plugs. We also put down clay bricks and set it up so the tops of the receivers are just below the clay, so the caps set flush on the bricks. So far, so good.

I think they used the 4" solid concrete blocks but I don't remember. I do know it's been around 6 years now and they have yet to replace anything. It's been a great sytem for them.