where's the head coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
Back to the original topic. The head coach sets the standards for acceptable behavior on a team. In the situation posted the coaches behavior is allowing the team to feel that attendance and unexplained absences are acceptable. I guarantee you the players will follow his lead. In some upcoming practices a couple of players won't show. No explanation. A few more players won't show, some regularly and others sporadically. At a friendly you will be a couple of girls short. Then it will happen at a tournament. In several months the team will disband I know because I went through the exact same thing with DDs first travel team 3 years ago. Your choice is very simple: change teams.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
As a coach, I would be upset if one of my players called me Sunday morning to let me know they weren't coming because of a migrane. Once is excused, twice would be a problem.

A real migraine (as opposed to a hangover headache) can come on suddenly and is completely debilitating. When my daughter has one you could try and force her to come to the game, but she literally would not be able to open her eyes (bright light makes it worse).

Jun 18, 2010
A real migraine (as opposed to a hangover headache) can come on suddenly and is completely debilitating. When my daughter has one you could try and force her to come to the game, but she literally would not be able to open her eyes (bright light makes it worse).

LAdad, you beat me to the punch... As a sufferer of migraines myself, I can assure you they can knock you off your feet for a while.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
LAdad, you beat me to the punch... As a sufferer of migraines myself, I can assure you they can knock you off your feet for a while.

I am not trying to make light of migranes. As a coach, I would think I would be aware if I had a player that suffered from them. I believe the OP was indicating that the migrane was probably self inflicted. I have honestly never had a player call in sick on Sunday of a tournament. I did have a player that suffered from anemia once. We would monitor her throughout the weekends. Never an issue. Again, I would say if a player calls out for any reason on a Sunday once, I would excuse her. If she called out on a Sunday twice, there is an issue that would need to be addressed. Perhaps I could take more precautions on Saturdays to help the player along. Didn't mean to come across as insensative to illness.

Dec 18, 2010
Not showing up because you tied one on is totally unforgivable. When you make a decision to HC you really need to put a lot of stuff 2nd.

As far as the felon thing goes I might be able to give a unique observation. Being a convicted felon means you've spent time locked up. I've spent quite a bit of time in different state and county institutions. Working there not living there but being incarcerated has an effect on you in a very negative way I've seen everyone I've worked with get worse not better while there both staff and inmates.
As one of the guys I know says "I won't let anybody that's been on the down low (incarcerated) be around my kids."

You cannot blame the dad for his due diligence while protecting his kids. Child predators are becoming very sophisticated at ways of getting to your kids.

Oct 25, 2009
Not showing up because you tied one on is totally unforgivable. When you make a decision to HC you really need to put a lot of stuff 2nd.

As far as the felon thing goes I might be able to give a unique observation. Being a convicted felon means you've spent time locked up. I've spent quite a bit of time in different state and county institutions. Working there not living there but being incarcerated has an effect on you in a very negative way I've seen everyone I've worked with get worse not better while there both staff and inmates.
As one of the guys I know says "I won't let anybody that's been on the down low (incarcerated) be around my kids."

You cannot blame the dad for his due diligence while protecting his kids. Child predators are becoming very sophisticated at ways of getting to your kids.

Diligent is one thing, paranoid is another. I'm personally aware of two cases where accusations were filed. One I'm still not sure of the truth. Another I know was a lie because of playing time issues.

When there is an atmosphere of suspicion sometimes it can turn into a witch burning. I will avoid that atmosphere whenever possible. Too many mistakes have been made and the consequences can be devastating.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I believe that LL excludes anyone with a felony conviction, from coaching. At least that is what my friend told the guy, that had just gotten out of prison last year. But, he wasn't even allowed visits with his own kids.

I thought that most organizations ran a basic background check, anymore.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I believe that LL excludes anyone with a felony conviction, from coaching. At least that is what my friend told the guy, that had just gotten out of prison last year. But, he wasn't even allowed visits with his own kids.

I thought that most organizations ran a basic background check, anymore.

In our rec league, they do a full background check on everyone that's involved in the team. The director tells everyone at 1st meeting that if you have a record, you would have to provide a very good explanation for such. Even then, your odds are slim at being able to coach.
Does this mean that someone that would be a good coach doesn't get the chance due to prior bad judgement? Maybe so. It's the consequences of the actions. I couldn't imaging trying to explain to the parents how something happened to their DD and we knew the person was a convicted felon.

Mar 13, 2010
In Australia you need to have a special card (Working With Children's Card) to do anything with children. It's more expensive if it's your job ($50) but if you're a volunteer it's $10. I know in my home state you have to get clearance to even play with minors (under 16) You didn't need the card when I had to do it, but you had to get clearance (they didn't make you pay) If you don't have it, you can't work with children in any capacity.

To me, there's very few reasons for not being at training or a game. Sickness is one of them. But There's also no reason to be drinking the night before a tournament.

I had once where I had training for the development side I was coaching (we never played any games) The night before my boyfriend had been really sick (self-inflicted) and I'd taken care of him. He told me he loved me for the first time that night and confirmed it the next morning. I can tell you the LAST thing I wanted to do was go to training. I went. It's what I agreed to. The only training I missed was after I'd been sick off work all week. I'd played the previous day (only my team could be lucky enough to have BOTH pitchers sick the same week! I was slightly better so I pitched and she batted for me) but I still wasn't 100% and didn't want to pass it on. All the parents were emailed and I'd seen two or three who were able to confirm how crook I was. Only training I missed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan