When should catchers start calling pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 2, 2013
The last thread I started (in particular a comment by Green Monsters) got me thinking about the right age to teach catchers to call pitches on their own. I know the right answer is probably "every girl is different" but on average what are your thoughts?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would suggest a question as a precursor to yours:

At what age are pitchers able to effectively throw pitches to specific locations?

I know that there are exceptions but I usually do not see this until 14U.

Keep in mind that the trend in college is catcher are NOT calling pitches.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Keep in mind that the trend in college is catcher are NOT calling pitches.

This is becuase they haven't been allowed to and proabably don't know how...since it has been done for them all through their travel ball careers.

For the most part, I hate comparing our game to baseball, but how many baseball catchers age 14 or so and up do you see that still have every pitch called for them?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is becuase they haven't been allowed to and proabably don't know how...since it has been done for them all through their travel ball careers.

For the most part, I hate comparing our game to baseball, but how many baseball catchers age 14 or so and up do you see that still have every pitch called for them?

Don't get me wrong. I feel that it is critical to the development of any catcher to learn to call pitches. It only makes them better. With the advent of tablet PC's there is so much information at a coaches fingertips that is just not available to the catcher. I think a collaborative approach works best. Develop a pitching strategy and rely on the catcher to execute all or part of that strategy.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
We started talking about it in 10u and let them go full time in 12u.

Coaches that call pitches have control issues (not saying they are bad people).

Calling pitches is not a skill. Research has shown even at the MLB level calling pitches is random chance.

If it were a skill some players/coaches would be better at it than others (or random chance). That fact is (no matter what they want to believe or tell you) they are not.

Hope that helps.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
It starts as soon as they get behind the plate, they begin to learn with the coach calling and talking to them about why the coach is calling what they are calling. Then you ease them into it in practices and some games.

You really have to talk to them in between innings and during practices. I also give them cheat sheets to study and even give them a quiz.

Some players would rather not call a game, some like to, some should and some shouldn't.

One of the problems I have run into is that at the second year of 12s or at the older age groups when you give the catcher the opportunity to call, they WILL NOT call a certain pitch because they are afraid, lazy or don't fully understand the situation. They will try to take the easy way out. Sometimes they don't want to make the pitcher mad at them.

You have to be able to guide them.

May 17, 2012
Not a skill and random chance? Wish I had known. I will do things different now. I am putting a Magic Eight Ball in my bucket. :)

You would find over a large enough sample size that you and the magic eight ball have roughly the same amount of impact on the games.

Dec 12, 2013
B.C. Canada
This won't be popular, (start the volley of insults),but I'm not a fan of catchers calling there own games for alot of the same reasons WinThemAll states. When they play in college, most coaches are calling pitches. As a coach, I can watch the on deck batter for swing tendancies, like hands dropping. If I see this, then the batter is getting pitches up in the zone. Catchers can't see the on deck swings.
I can also see the batter in the batters box swing tendancies, which the catcher can see sometimes, but most of the time not, as she is concentrating on catching the ball. I am the extra set of eyes for the catcher, and No I don't have control issues, I do what I think is best for the team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12