What's your DD's second position?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Last season my 14yo DD played every position except for catcher during the season. While she prefers pitching then 2nd base, she will and has played almost every position on the diamond. When asked about catching her response was "no way!, the other 8 positions is good with me". I had to chuckle when the coach told me this. He was happy to hear her say that she would play other positions, he never would have asked her to catch.

My advice? Play where you are needed and give it 100% effort.

Aug 14, 2011
My DD is primarily 2nd with a pretty close runner up with 3rd base. Has played considerable SS, some 1st and some OF. She always requested to get reps at different positions and having a little time at many positions most definitely helped in her recruiting.
For the poster that said a 2.6 time is an average, I respectfully disagree. My DD would be well above that average and she had no issues with that on the recruiting front.
To the original poster- your DD is young enough that she could get some speed training and get a little faster. That would help her to expand to OF and maybe middle infield. She doesn't have to be blazing fast. Just good footwork and go hard. Many outfielders aren't the fastest, but they have good footwork and go all out and hard. Coaches want athletes!

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD#1 plays 1B and C - when she was U10 she played 3B and was good at it, but played nothing else. Then at U12 the coach didn't need an F5 so she was exiled to the OF until a new coach took over and made her an F3. (I say exiled because on that team, the outfielders received no coaching, no training) she became a C when at U14 her team had one C who couldn't make a big game so coach (same as U12) asked her if she could help out and a week later was playing the position.

DD#2 is primarily P, but is excellent at 3B and SS (wife wants her to give up P as she is really fun to watch on left side) she can play every position but does not like OF as she is wired for the IF.

I agree that it's important for players to be flexible and play other positions. The problem is getting the opportunities to play and learn other positions.

May 28, 2012
travel team- left field, pitcher, 3rd, and 1st in that order
Middles school- pitcher, left field( coach won't put 6th graders in the infield except pitcher)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
DD#1 plays 1B and C - when she was U10 she played 3B and was good at it, but played nothing else. Then at U12 the coach didn't need an F5 so she was exiled to the OF until a new coach took over and made her an F3. (I say exiled because on that team, the outfielders received no coaching, no training) she became a C when at U14 her team had one C who couldn't make a big game so coach (same as U12) asked her if she could help out and a week later was playing the position.

DD#2 is primarily P, but is excellent at 3B and SS (wife wants her to give up P as she is really fun to watch on left side) she can play every position but does not like OF as she is wired for the IF.

I agree that it's important for players to be flexible and play other positions. The problem is getting the opportunities to play and learn other positions.

That is so true. When she joined her last team, the coach said she wouldn't touch 3rd and she rarely got to practice there. It sounds like this happens a lot. When she joined this new team she had 2 girls starting ahead of her but she busted her butt off and became the starter by the 4th tournament. Now that those two are too old to play, he wants to work someone else there and is giving her a choice of where she'd like to work. She'd love to get back into catching, but that's how she re-injured her ankle and it still gets really sore. They do not move the girls around much at this point...they seem to stick to their positions in practice for the most part.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
My rascal is a pitcher, but wants nothing to do with any other position in the infield. It's really strange, she can field anything and everything that comes back at her in the circle, but try her at a base and it is an ugly sight! I think backed up at a base, she has too much time to think about it, over thinks it, and blows it.

So, when she's not pitching, she LOVES playing outfield. Her favorite thing to do is dive for balls in the outfield!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz