WHAT WINS GAMES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

what wins games

• More Hits

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Less Errors

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Too Hard Of A Question:)

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
Jan 3, 2021
Once was on a team that had so many good hitters but we just could never win cause of errors. The team’s defense was so bad we would always give up around 4-8 runs on errors alone and then we’d have to try and scramble to make up for the errors with our hitting.

Apr 1, 2017
Don't have stats to back this up, but going from memory, when we lose a close game to an equal or better opponent, it has usually been we needed a few more hits, especially situations like runners on 2nd and/or 3rd and don't score.

The games that the score gets a little out of hand, is ALWAYS due to errors. The 5 out innings wear everyone down.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
A collective will to win wins most games along w a good pitcher. Forget the stats. But the higher you go, outs are what’s most important. Better chance at winning the big/tight game consistently.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Good defense, supplementing good pitching, keeps games close against equally matched opponents. Errors tend to make winning more difficult, but a lack of errors doesn't put runs on the board. Good hitting not only puts runs on the board, but magnifies the impact of the other team's errors. Good defense will keep you in a close game, but making the other team pay for their mistakes (pitching or fielding) is what ultimately wins games.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
It's right there in my signature. This was the old refrain I used with my 10U girls. Definitely true at that level. Generally still true from what I've seen at 14u...you play a clean sheet and make all your throws, you put yourself in a good spot to win.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Who wins? The team that makes the least amount of mistakes. 2 equal teams. Both teams hit the same, field the same and pitch the same. I go back in my mind and think about all the games that were lost and won. It usually boils down to mistakes.

A good pitcher who leaves it fat gets hit over the fence. Bobble in the infield, over throw at a base, player didn't back up the play, OF throws behind the runner, OF throws home instead of cut off, hitter can't put down the bunt, etc.

Sep 19, 2018
You need both. And as has been mentioned, it is grades. Just how much more hitting do you have or how much worse is your defense.. Obviously, you can't win a game without scoring. But If you are always spoting the other team the equivalent 5 free 'hits' due to errors including another 9 total bases that goes with those errors, it gets hard to win.
I don't feel like doing the math, but if you have a 6 inning game and one team hits 400 vs a team that hits 300 + 5 ROE you probably come pretty close to each other.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well...scoring more runs wins. Duh.

I've seen teams that play great defense, commit very few errors, and give up very few runs, but can't get enough hits to score. I've seen teams that hit the hell out of the ball, but give it back - and more - because of crappy defense.

You have to play well on both sides of the ball.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Well...scoring more runs wins. Duh.

I've seen teams that play great defense, commit very few errors, and give up very few runs, but can't get enough hits to score. I've seen teams that hit the hell out of the ball, but give it back - and more - because of crappy defense.

You have to play well on both sides of the ball.
Don't forget baserunning erros once you get on base and poor decisions from the coach.

DD's team out errored most teams last season and they were rewarded with losses even if they out hit the opponent.

Dec 11, 2010
Team USA answered this question a couple weeks ago I believe.

And don’t feel bad if you get the answer wrong. Ken did too, and he’s supposed to be a softball guru, right?

#StillSalty

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA