WHAT WINS GAMES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

what wins games

• More Hits

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Less Errors

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • Too Hard Of A Question:)

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I voted "less errors". Ultimately, the biggest factor is confidence, IMO. If you believe something bad is going to happen, more than likely, it will. But if you truly believe the opposite, you have a chance. Errors will weaken a team's confidence. Hits will strengthen it. However, I believe the errors have a larger impact.

@RichK answered "pitching", and I really cannot argue with that answer. But as the dad of a pitcher, I know what impact your defense has on your pitching. DD was never a shutdown pitcher, but she has a knack for getting outs. In high school ball, her defense was a sieve. After a while, it started impacting her. She tried to be too perfect in order to offset the deficiencies, and that wasn't her game. By comparison, her travel team had an excellent defense. Even when she struggled at her job, the team behind her tended to make her look good.
Agree confidence is a big factor

Simple response about pitching.
For most teams pitching doesnt carry the team.

Notice more and more with the multitude of teams
pitching talent is limited.
And
Good pitchers only have so much gas in the tank.

Firm believer
It takes a team!

✔ Less Errors

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD has been on 2 Teams that did not win a game. The thing in common was they were never a Team. It was different cults of individuals running around.

Asked players at practice who remembers Dan making that error that cost us a couple runs. They all raised their hands. Then I asked who remembers the nice play Dan made to keep us in the game. Only 1 player raised their hand.

Not sure how to define it, do it my own way.

If you can get 12 players together for a few hours, I will take my chances.

Jun 11, 2013
If you make a lot of errors you will never even be decent. In the end you need to be able to hit. When you get to a higher level the teams with deeper lineups will win over the course of time. Sometimes a great pitcher can dominate a game or 2 but in the long run the teams that put pressure on the defense win.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Too hard.
Although I will say you gotta make 21 outs to win. Needing 25 opportunities to get to 21 outs sure adds to the burden.

Jan 6, 2018
I voted for hits. You can outslug your defense. This only applies to a base level of competency of course. If you’re down 13 runs after the top of the 1st because you made 6 errors and there’s a 70 minute time limit and you’re probably only going to get 3 innings in…then it’s going to be tough…albeit still possible.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Its interesting to discuss because of these other factors.

1. Dont have to get hits to get on base.
2. Small ball is a good tool against pitching that puts pressure on the defense.
3. strong defense takes away more would otherwise be hits.
(like a faster outfield)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If you make a lot of errors you will never even be decent. In the end you need to be able to hit. When you get to a higher level the teams with deeper lineups will win over the course of time. Sometimes a great pitcher can dominate a game or 2 but in the long run the teams that put pressure on the defense win.
Or the defense that can rise to pressure shuts down scoring...
👉Just for conversation... :)

~in the end need to be able to score!

How about scenario's for thought
-Hit by pitch-batter at first now
-Pass ball-runner on 2nd
-Grounder- overthrow to first-
- Runners on 3rd and 1st
(No hits yet)

What would you rather have
Another pass ball?
Or
What % might a hit ball be a hit?
How about Batters avg is say
.270 to .310

Pitcher now has concern of Throwing another pass ball,
Pegging the batter,
Defensive overthrows.
Or base hit...probability 30 %

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
Balance. Mr Miyagi had it right, balance in all things.

If you look at historical data, at the highest levels of most sports, the statistically best defensive or offensive team rarely wins championships. but what champions typically have in common is be very good to great, but not necessarily dominating, in both.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy