What to do with the travel players that waffle

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Several times (especially recently), we have been contacted by
players' parents wanting to tryout for our travel program. We have set aside tryouts
(private) only to have them call and cancel at the last minute. This does not bother me!

What gets me is 30 days down the road, I receive a call that says, "sorry, we went to play
for this organization, dd is not happy, do you still have a spot for her?" these are the typical
families that jump from city to city trying to fit in. They contact us initially because we have a
reputation for stability and creating unity and a 'family atmosphere' while at the same time
winning our fair share of games. They get recruited by other teams sometimes under false pretenses.

When we have a spot open up, do I call them for a 2nd chance or leave them in 'travel ball hell'
There is always the chance that they will come and 'jump ship' in a few months.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Don't do private tryouts. Or only as a rare exception to the rule. (ie. if you need a pitcher or catcher right now)
Hold regular practices with occasional open workouts. Publish the dates of these open workouts and ask players to RSVP if they plan on attending.
If your organization has as good a reputation as you say, you will get players to attend these open workouts. They can assess your team practices and skill levels while you are doing the same.

That avoids you wasting time with private tryouts that do not show up. Open workouts also allow you to compare skill level with your current team. It allows parents to compare their own DD skill level to your team. You avoid having to make any decisions about the player right away.

If players end up trying out for another team and then change their mind, they can always attend the next open work out and if there is still a spot open in your program, you can decide then whether you want to take the player.

This also keeps your current players on their toes because you will occasionally have new players at your practices trying to earn a place on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06