What the heck now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ok, moving 16u and possible 14u to 43ft.

2010 restrictions on bats.

Now I've gotten wind ASA is considering a new universal ball possible in 2012. Something about limiting the return speed off the bat. ( wasn't that the purpose in the 2010 restrictions ?)

Has anyone else heard about this 'universal ball'?

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
3 years ago in War at the Shore in NJ they made us play with a softer ball. I was told it was based on a law suit in that state. Perhaps someone from that state can add to this, but I have been hearing rumors about changing the ball.

May 11, 2009
I had heard about a ball change but that was a while ago. At this point nothing would surprise me.
In Iowa our girls at U14 are really messed up because ASA is 40' but 7th grade school ball is 43'. So my DD is pitching at 43 and we are hoping it wont totally mess up her for ASA.
Time will tell.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
7th grade school ball at 43'? It's going to get to the point where only the really big and strong kids will be able to pitch effectively at the younger ages. Which means fewer pitchers, fewer teams, and fewer kids participating in softball.

Doesn't it make you wonder why they don't make 12 year old boys pitch from 60' 6", given that they are probably stronger than the girls and throwing a smaller ball.

May 11, 2009
Yeah Ken we were not happy when we got all the rule changes and found out that for us ASA and IHSAA was not going to be the same.
But we cannot do anything about it. We contacted our ASA reps and discussed it with them but their hands were tied. We contacted the IHSAA and they said it was to protect the players.
So here we are. We have some small towns like ours that have some girls who are pretty good pitchers but we simply don't have the talent pool that the big cities have. We will not be able to compete. But we will not use this as a crutch and we will give it all we have!!

Feb 8, 2009
I 've been told next year 14u will be at 43' and 10u will be at 40 ft. Junior high will move to 43' next year, also. They've made jewelry legal, so they're not worried about safety. Most of the rule changes must be discussed in taverns or crackhouses.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I 've been told next year 14u will be at 43' and 10u will be at 40 ft. Junior high will move to 43' next year, also. They've made jewelry legal, so they're not worried about safety. Most of the rule changes must be discussed in taverns or crackhouses.

Our Jr high has moved to 43' this season. But they will no longer let the high school girls drink beer during the games. :)

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA

That's crazy. We're talking about moving our 16U recreational ball to 43' next year to match up with high school and all of the travel stuff. Most of the girls play high school, several play travel as well. No need to go back and forth from the two differences. However, for 14U it is a big difference.

For anyone that doesn't know, all high schools will be moving to 43 feet next year. Some states have already chosen to move to 43 feet for this school year. My state, VA, did not chose to do that.

Virginia High School League has lifted the ban on bobby pins and barrettes, however, they've banned sparkly headbands like Jenny Finch wears and sequined headbands. Because a "sequin could pop off and hit you in the eye." That definitely happens everyday, let me tell you.

I personally don't wear jewelry and I don't see why the girls should be wearing it on the field in the first place.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I understand safety first. But playing softball is a choice, just like football, hockey, baseball. The chances of injury come with the territory. I'm starting to think there are some old farts on these 'boards' that don't want their records to be beat by the new and better trained athletes of today. And I think that is very selfish.

They are going to drive this great sport into the ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45