Knowing your role

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
My DD didn't fully decide to return to her team from last year until about a month ago. With conflicts and a few minor illnesses, she missed all of every other week organizational spring workouts. Last week she missed the Tuesday practice because of two finals on Wednesday and missed the Thursday practice because of her prom. She had no expectations of playing much this weekend (or next), because she has only attended two practices so far.

At start of warmups HC asks her that he heard she caught some in HS this spring. She said yes, just three games. He asked her to gear up and catch one of the pitchers. With travel ball pitchers the Easton 1B mitt does not protect the thumb enough, so tomorrow we are going shopping for a glove and/or thumb guard. I told her to use my Liberty Worth Advanced in the future to warmup pitchers to finish breaking it in, the Easton if she catchers in a game.

She warmed up one of the three pitchers before every game. She is basically now the C3. She only played 1 of 3 games, in LF, had two at bats. going 1 for 2. 1st at bat she recognized a rise Ball coming, got on top of the ball and hit it down for a slap-like single up the middle for an RBI. She claims it wasn't a slap, just got on top of the ball on a full swing. She tracked pitches for the coach during the two games she didn't play.

Team qualified for an Alliance Championship berth going 2-1 on the weekend. Coach had players clap for the pitchers, then had pitchers take a picture with the plaque. Then realized he should have the catchers in with the pitchers on another picture.

Thus, "The pitchers and the ones who do all the hard work"

pitchercathers.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2011
PS- just got a text asking if DD would be willing to show up and catch pitchers at a showcase pitching clinic on June 23rd. Her answer was she would love to, as long as she wasn't being evaluated as a catcher. She is still insisting she doesn't want to play in college.

Club coach texted me this (Monday) morning asking me if DD would be up for catching a game in pool play this upcoming weekend, since they were repressed by how quiet she was at receiving while warming up pitchers this past weekend.

They also want to find excuses to get her bat in the lineup. She didn't play fall ball, so she needs to make it extremely obvious she deserves playing time to avoid headaches for the coaches. DD is also friends with the C1, so has no desire to be higher than the C3, maybe the C2.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802