What the heck now?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
2010 restrictions on bats.

Now I've gotten wind ASA is considering a new universal ball possible in 2012. Something about limiting the return speed off the bat. ( wasn't that the purpose in the 2010 restrictions ?)

Has anyone else heard about this 'universal ball'?

Well, if you got "wind"....and obvously, you've got information that is suspect, at best.

I have no idea where you got the term "universal" ball. I have to think you are referring to a ball that has .520 COR with 275 compression. ASA has been experimenting with this ball in SP. It really is not "softer". The exterior feels soft and has some give to it, but it is just as solid and will fly just as far as anything presently in use, just not getting there as fast. This ball does bring the game back closer to emphasize the player's skill as opposed to the equipment being the difference.

However, the big selling point is that when it hits something, or in this case someone, the impact is not as disasterous. From the reports I have read, this ball hits a player at less than 60% of the impact that the 47/375 does. Supposedly this could be the difference between a fractured skull and a concussion. In SP games, there have been players taking shots to the shins and it barely raised a bruise.

The Equipment Standards and Certification committee did not support (and the change was not passed) changing to this ball. In spite of testing data from the manufacturers, ASA wants to run their own tests on the ball. It is ASSUMED (and that is a stretch at this time) that once this or a similar ball is approved, many of the previously non-approved bats will be removed from that list.

There are areas around the country which is using this ball (with ASAs approval).

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well, if you got "wind"....and obvously, you've got information that is suspect, at best.

I have no idea where you got the term "universal" ball. I have to think you are referring to a ball that has .520 COR with 275 compression. ASA has been experimenting with this ball in SP. It really is not "softer". The exterior feels soft and has some give to it, but it is just as solid and will fly just as far as anything presently in use, just not get there as fast. This ball does bring the game back closer to emphasize the player's skill as opposed to the equipment being the difference.

However, the big selling point is that when it hits something, or in this case someone, the impact is not as disasterous. From the reports I have read, this ball hits a player at less than 60% of the impact that the 47/375 does. Supposedly this could be the difference between a fractured skull and a concussion. In SP games, there have been players taking shots to the shins and it barely raised a bruise.

The Equipment Standards and Certification committee did not support (and the change was not passed) changing to this ball. In spite of testing data from the manufacturers, ASA wants to run their own tests on the ball. It is ASSUMED (and that is a stretch at this time) that once this or a similar ball is approved, many of the previously non-approved bats will be removed from that list.

There are areas aound the country which is using this ball (with ASAs approval).

My guy at ASA has been dead on so far in all the changes, in ASA and other organizations, so I trust his input. He came up with the term ' universal ball'. So IDK?

Let me ask this, and I'm not a physicist, but if on impact with a player over 40% is absorbed how can the same 40% not be absorbed while batting? They are both moving objects coming in contact with another object. Surely the ball is not smart enough to tell the difference. Maybe we should scrap the 'universal' ball and call it the 'smart' ball?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I must say how much I've enjoyed this conversation. I've read through the entire thread and it's interesting to read all of the rule changes. As I've mentioned in previous posts, we don't have a lot of travel ball in my area due to it being so rural and far away from things. We've got high school and we have recreational ball mandated by the county. No ASA, no NSA, no alphabet soup. It's interesting to learn what is happening with the travel leagues, however, for those that can go an hour or two away to play it. Our ultimate goal is to prepare girls for the next level. We like to have consistency and we are planning on moving our rec ball back to 43" to match everyone else.

As for a universal ball, we certainly don't have that. We buy whatever balls are cheapest at the sporting good store. I have some NCAA Worth balls right now, rec ball buys that Dudley fastpitch balls. Definitely wouldn't mind something that wouldn't bruise so badly, let me tell you. I am frequently hit by pitch (helmet has saved my life, let me tell you) and I've racked in some bruises. Heck, got hit twice today at tryouts at school.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I must say how much I've enjoyed this conversation. I've read through the entire thread and it's interesting to read all of the rule changes. As I've mentioned in previous posts, we don't have a lot of travel ball in my area due to it being so rural and far away from things. We've got high school and we have recreational ball mandated by the county. No ASA, no NSA, no alphabet soup. It's interesting to learn what is happening with the travel leagues, however, for those that can go an hour or two away to play it. Our ultimate goal is to prepare girls for the next level. We like to have consistency and we are planning on moving our rec ball back to 43" to match everyone else.

As for a universal ball, we certainly don't have that. We buy whatever balls are cheapest at the sporting good store. I have some NCAA Worth balls right now, rec ball buys that Dudley fastpitch balls. Definitely wouldn't mind something that wouldn't bruise so badly, let me tell you. I am frequently hit by pitch (helmet has saved my life, let me tell you) and I've racked in some bruises. Heck, got hit twice today at tryouts at school.

Amanda, glad to hear your input. You still live in a place where this game was intended. To have fun, before politics took over. I've played sports all my life, and never seen a sport go to crap so fast by hasty decisions. If the same people are in charge soon the NFL will go to flag football.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Amanda, glad to hear your input. You still live in a place where this game was intended. To have fun, before politics took over. I've played sports all my life, and never seen a sport go to crap so fast by hasty decisions. If the same people are in charge soon the NFL will go to flag football.
I'm glad that you're interested in what I have to say. In going places and playing softball, posting on forums, etc. I feel like I have been looked down upon because I don't live in a place where travel ball is feasible right now. I'm a good player. One instance that stands out in my mind about being looked down upon for not playing travel ball or in one of those alphabet soup organizations was when I went to play in a Southern Star All Star Tournament in GA. Quite a trip, let me tell you. One of the girls was watching me and later asked me what travel team I played for. I told her I didn't and just the look on her face was odd. Many of the adults might not have noticed this, but as a kid travel ball snobbery is pretty noticeable. We might have to shell out the cash next year, when I age out of our recreation league, however. It is currently 16U, but we're talking about making it 17U so kids will be able to play all throughout high school. The point of our league is to give kids something to do, to teach them to play, to provide them with leadership opportunities and such and depriving them of that opportunity during their senior year of high school is saddening. Unfortunately, that issue was pressed in a league meeting last year and they voted against moving it to 17U because of parental complaints from younger kids from the 13U team that had to be pulled up in order to make a complete roster for 16U. Those parents did not want their kids to compete against something that much older. Well, these are the SAME kids they are playing now. EVERYONE will be a year older. If we could have that extra year, we wouldn't have to pull up players from 13U because then most teams would have enough kids to make a complete roster.

There are definitely some politics here and definitely some ball drama, but that's being limited. Girls like myself are helping with the younger age groups. Myself and two others do much of the work for our team, there are girls like us that work the other teams. We will come back one day and run organizations like this. We've seen good coaches, we've seen bad, we've seen some of these rule changes at our high school, we're educated on what is going on in other softball places via the internet, and we have a love of the game. I've often talked about coming back to this area, teaching high school, and coaching Varsity softball along with running the rec league. The point of this post basically is to say that when people like myself grow up and get into high authority softball positions, things will be different. We've played this game, we've seen it all. I don't know who makes a lot of the decisions for softball but there is definitely potential that it is men that have never played the game. If you haven't played it, you really don't know.

Sep 3, 2009
Let me ask this, and I'm not a physicist, but if on impact with a player over 40% is absorbed how can the same 40% not be absorbed while batting? They are both moving objects coming in contact with another object. Surely the ball is not smart enough to tell the difference. Maybe we should scrap the 'universal' ball and call it the 'smart' ball?

I'm just throwing out my guess that comes to mind (and I could very well be dead wrong about this).. but I think it's because a bat does not 'give' like a body will. Our bodes are soft tissue and bone. I know bats flex and give, i've seen some pretty incredible photos of this, but I don't think it's anywhere near what the human body would with an equivalent batted ball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm just throwing out my guess that comes to mind (and I could very well be dead wrong about this).. but I think it's because a bat does not 'give' like a body will. Our bodes are soft tissue and bone. I know bats flex and give, i've seen some pretty incredible photos of this, but I don't think it's anywhere near what the human body would with an equivalent batted ball.

That is a good point. And that very well could account for a small percentage of impact. The earlier post said some were taking bombs to the legs without leaving a bruise? That's hard to believe. If I hit a tennis ball or even a whiffle ball back at someone at 70-90 mph, I assure you it will leave a mark.

Sep 3, 2009
That is a good point. And that very well could account for a small percentage of impact. The earlier post said some were taking bombs to the legs without leaving a bruise? That's hard to believe. If I hit a tennis ball or even a whiffle ball back at someone at 70-90 mph, I assure you it will leave a mark.

I agree. If the ball would be dense enough to pop off the bat then I'd certainly think it would leave a mark. If you hit a folded sock as hard as you can, it's not going over CF at 225'...
I really don't know where I side on the issue though. I think if they compromise too much, the game won't be nearly what it is now. And I'm not entirely convinced that making any further changes would significantly reduce the risk of injury to players. I could be wrong though, just ask my wife.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I agree. If the ball would be dense enough to pop off the bat then I'd certainly think it would leave a mark. If you hit a folded sock as hard as you can, it's not going over CF at 225'...
I really don't know where I side on the issue though. I think if they compromise too much, the game won't be nearly what it is now. And I'm not entirely convinced that making any further changes would significantly reduce the risk of injury to players. I could be wrong though, just ask my wife.

I like the wife part. lol Look, there is more of a chance getting seriously hurt DRIVING to a game or tournament than actually playing in one. So what will they do about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid