Leaving a team when they've done nothing wrong....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We are now in a similar boat, except that DD is playing for a C team trying to be Div B but we know will never get there. The team will be as good as the HC's daughter, which is a mid B at best. We go on vacation and hang out for poker nights frequently. We are even neighbors. DD just went on a private tryout with an A team, and she was like, "I want that." The A team is with a very good organization and will give DD a chance to play college if she ever chooses to. With the current team, she'd never get a chance. We will have to break the news soon. Most of the girls on her current team is also from her school, so it'll be tough on her.

I've said this about TB more times than I can remember.... The ONLY true loyalty is a parent to doing what they think is right for their kid.

That's not always a bad thing. Holding back on an opportunity for your DD to develop into a next-level player because you don't want to ruffle feathers is (usually) a mistake, especially if it's something your DD really wants to do.

That said, sometimes parents are delusional.

Apr 25, 2019
We are now in a similar boat, except that DD is playing for a C team trying to be Div B but we know will never get there. The team will be as good as the HC's daughter, which is a mid B at best. We go on vacation and hang out for poker nights frequently. We are even neighbors. DD just went on a private tryout with an A team, and she was like, "I want that." The A team is with a very good organization and will give DD a chance to play college if she ever chooses to. With the current team, she'd never get a chance. We will have to break the news soon. Most of the girls on her current team is also from her school, so it'll be tough on her.

So, it has been a few months now and this has certainly been the right decision. Watching games where college coaches are actively watching has been awesome. The new team has been great. We win a lot and lose some, but hey that's what we expected playing a more of a national schedule. It's impressive to see the talent that is out there. Every girl can rake, make diving plays, throw 60+, and are fast as lightning. It pushes my DD to be better.

As for the old team, we heard thru some of the girls still on the old team that a few sets of parents were upset that we left. Not sure why and I didn't ask and I don't care. I just found it odd. We have faced our old team 1 time at a tourney and it was cool and weird at the same time. Certain girls and parents were cool with my DD and us. Certain ones that we would have considered friends were acting weird and distant. Ah well....it is what it is. Overall, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Heck, we will be in Colorado next week for the Sparkler, so what is there to be mad at!!

Good luck to you and your DD. At the end of the day, it's what she wants.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
So, it has been a few months now and this has certainly been the right decision. Watching games where college coaches are actively watching has been awesome. The new team has been great. We win a lot and lose some, but hey that's what we expected playing a more of a national schedule. It's impressive to see the talent that is out there. Every girl can rake, make diving plays, throw 60+, and are fast as lightning. It pushes my DD to be better.

As for the old team, we heard thru some of the girls still on the old team that a few sets of parents were upset that we left. Not sure why and I didn't ask and I don't care. I just found it odd. We have faced our old team 1 time at a tourney and it was cool and weird at the same time. Certain girls and parents were cool with my DD and us. Certain ones that we would have considered friends were acting weird and distant. Ah well....it is what it is. Overall, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Heck, we will be in Colorado next week for the Sparkler, so what is there to be mad at!!

Good luck to you and your DD. At the end of the day, it's what she wants.

Glad to hear things have worked out! :)

In my experience, the weird vibes thing isn't unusual. There are some parents from former teams I will always go say hi to when we are at the same facility, and some I won't. There's some I will acknowledge in passing, and some I will pretend I didn't see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45