Wearing down cleats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2024
Hey all- just wondering if my daughter’s problem with cleats is mechanical or simply because of time. She has the plastic ringors with pitching toe, and after about a year the front left spike on her right foot is almost completely gone. She is a rhp, so that is her drag foot. Has anyone else had this happen/found a solution? This has happened to her last 3 pairs of cleats. She will be going to metal cleats this coming season.

Apr 8, 2019
Metal spikes will last longer, but will wear down to nothing as well. It took me a while to accept it, but cleats wear down, bats break, batting gloves tear and gloves break down. Softball is a steady stream of frustrating expenses.

May 19, 2024
Metal spikes will last longer, but will wear down to nothing as well. It took me a while to accept it, but cleats wear down, bats break, batting gloves tear and gloves break down. Softball is a steady stream of frustrating expenses.
Yeah have definitely come to terms with that lol. 3 bats in the last year (thank goodness for warranties) and 2 new gloves fairly recently between my 2 daughters. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a mechanics thing

Jan 25, 2022
Yeah have definitely come to terms with that lol. 3 bats in the last year (thank goodness for warranties) and 2 new gloves fairly recently between my 2 daughters. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t a mechanics thing

If it's one specific spike more than the others, it may very well be indicative of something like driving off the side of the foot/early opening. Post a video if you're like to confirm.

Jul 26, 2022
My daughter is also a pitcher and wore her Ringors all the way down. I didn't even notice until we bought a new pair and the cleats were way longer. The wear pattern on her stride and drive cleats is pretty similar. The front cleat under her toes and the front inside cleat on both shoes are definitely the most worn.

May 19, 2024
... a year!

Some go through cleats every 3 to 6 months
She has been injured a lot, so that is probably why the longer time. They probably wore down in about 30-40 innings of pitching (she has turfs that are used for lessons and a good amount of games)

May 19, 2024
If it's one specific spike more than the others, it may very well be indicative of something like driving off the side of the foot/early opening. Post a video if you're like to confirm.
She currently is in a boot after ankle surgery, and I haven’t gotten a lot of good video recently (stupid fences ?) I will dig and try to find one. It is definitely only the spike on the top right of her drag foot, directly under the toe guard on the ringors it is almost nothing at this point.

Jan 25, 2022
She currently is in a boot after ankle surgery, and I haven’t gotten a lot of good video recently (stupid fences ?) I will dig and try to find one. It is definitely only the spike on the top right of her drag foot, directly under the toe guard on the ringors it is almost nothing at this point.
No biggie. I just find all the different habits and things interesting. It's funny how wear patterns and bruises and whatever else can tell us important things about mechanics.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831