Washington gets rear in gear and beats Oklahoma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
After getting beat handily by Oklahoma, Washington came back and won two to make it back to the CWS.

They interviewed the Washington coach about how she got them motivated to win and she said that just talked about being ready to play. That is college coach speak for, "I chewed them out for 45 minutes, and called them every name in the book."

Danielle Lawrie was simply ferocious--she had a Bob Gibson attitude when she was on the mound. She *hated* Oklahoma during the two games she won.

Rickets for Oklahoma is going to be something else. She is a phenomenal pitcher. Oklahoma will win another title by the time she graduates.

Jul 28, 2008
I was on the edge of my chair for 4 hours during those two game. No more nails left, either. I think OU poked the hornets nest (DL) on Thursday. Watching DL pitch around Flores just shows you the respect that the Olympic pitcher has for her as a hitter. I, too, expect to see OU in the WCWS. She gained a ton of experience last night, which can come no other way.

Now what was up with Shawna Wright's continuation after the fielder's choice in game #2? She over-ran first and was safe. On her way back, while the ball was in the circle, she noticed that nobody was covering 2nd and stole before returning to 1st. I read elsewhere that they call this the "Washington Rule" because Teresa Wilson used to have her players do that quite often while coaching the Huskies. Thoughts?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"Thoughts?"

I thought it was an excellent heads up play.

She never stopped and the players thought she was going back to the base. (If I am thinking of the right play and right game.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy