Was this an illegal substitution?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 5, 2023
Top of the 6th inning: Pitcher A walked the first 2 batters. Coach brings in Pitcher B and moves Pitcher A to SS. SS goes to the bench. So, in my mind the new pitcher has replaced the SS in the lineup. The SS that went to the bench is due up first the bottom of the 6th. Pitcher B gets 3 outs and we go to bottom of 6th. I am expecting Pitcher B to be batting, but the SS who was taken out has re-entered and is batting in her original spot. I assume Pitcher B is done pitching.

Top of the 7th inning: Pitcher B goes back to pitching. The original SS is now playing first base. How can that happen?

Aug 20, 2017
Pitcher A is DP and enters the game as Pitcher. She can play any defensive spot. Her spot in the lineup doesn’t change. She went to play SS. Pitcher B is the flex. She left the game as soon as the Pitcher A (the DP) entered the game to pitch. Pitcher B (the flex) re-entered the game when she went to pitch. The game was started with Pitcher B listed as the flex. The lineup doesn’t change. The DP can play defense for anyone and it’s not a defensive sub. Just swapped defensive positions.

May 8, 2009
Florida
Was Pitcher A in the batting lineup. The two pitchers cannot be a DP/Flex combination as they are joined at the hip in the batting lineup. Therefore, when the SS left the game it would need to be a direct substitution. Did Pitcher A remain playing defense? I believe it could be that the SS was Flex and Pitcher B was DP. At pre-game meeting, a substitution was made were the DP left the game, making the SS the legal batter which reduced the lineup to none. . When Pitcher B was brought in to pitch, it would have been the one reentry allowed her at once again bringing the lineup to ten. At that point, one of the players simply took the "bench" which is the DP "position" on defense. Its been a while, but I think I have this correct.

Jun 5, 2023
To clarify, this happened during a varsity game. Pitcher A was in the batting line up. Pitcher A remained in the game at SS. The DP batted for the RF who was listed as the Flex. Pitcher B was not in the line up in any way prior to coming into the game to pitch in the 6th inning.

Aug 23, 2016
Couldn't the pitcher have been a sub for the DP or the flex? There really are a lot of options here. Just because the SS left the field, you can't assume that the pitcher was a straight sub for the SS. DP/Flex gives you ten defensive players to choose from, it's not as straightforward as an MLB substitution.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
MYTH:
04546b75-a069-42b3-a336-8c821c2daae2_text.gif

Amy
Betty
Carly
Diana -- F1 F6
Elaine
Francesca -- F6 Kelly F1 Francesca F1 Kelly F1
Gale
Hermione
Ingrid -- DP
Janie -- Flex/RF

Looks legit under NFHS. Every player has a re-entry. That is literal. A sub entering is not a re-rentry.

Starter goes out:

0_Ak_J.gif

Sub goes in,
im-in.gif

Sub comes out,
tumblr_okvj95VKHj1st0dt8o1_540.gif

Starter re-enters,
giphy.gif

Starter leaves again and is burned,
OohBurn.gif

and the sub re-enters.
200w.gif

The second time a player comes out . . .

3b458ee3-4584-4a97-9232-25d6513a48a7_text.gif

Defensive position swaps really don't matter (other than for courtesy runners). Francesca came out once, re-entered, and came out a second time. Kelly entered, came out, and re-entered.

1714006576500.png

May 29, 2015
WHOOPS! I missed that last move.

Kelly and Francesca cannot both be on defense at the same time PLUS Francesca did not have another re-entry to use.

I'll have to run through DP/Flex options later.

EDIT: Yeah, need to know more information about who batted/didn't bat the first 5 innings.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet