wanting equal respect for high school team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 30, 2010
Hey Teddyballgame,

I wish I had some good advice for you. It sounds like some folks have had success with getting spectator draws to thier games. That's awesome.

The just win thing, yeah. That alone isn't the answer. 5 state championships in softball and 4 state championships in baseball in the last decade. The only people that show up to the games are the families, siblings and a few non-related fans. Football and basketball for both genders have a good turn out of spectators and haven't had a 500 season in the same time. Go figure.

A friend did point out that since the football and basketball games are later in the evening going to those games means dumping the parents and hanging out with friends even if it is at the school. Softball and baseball games are right after school, so attending a game there means giving up the home alone time unsupervised before the parents get home. It suddenly makes more sense why students don't hang out to watch the softball/baseball teams play and ride the activity buses home after the games.
This would be a very good point.

Jan 30, 2010
Going to chime in ...because i think its soo important on building programs whether hs softball or any other sport.

First to your questions...
games announced by P.A....YES...with music...people like events...make it an event, not just a game.
have senior night, YES...make it important/special for the girls and the younger girls will see that and have something else to look forward to.
"black out" game (play under the lights at night), YES...as my dd says...its "kul" to play at night.
special events, YES...hold a day camp or two day camp for younger kids each year...have team help you.... both the young and older girls get alot out of this! ...have a special home game night where you have invited the local girls all-stars and give them recognition and a game dedication...little prize awarded to them by the high school girls etc.
increase parent involvement YES...find a great balanced parent that will handle the parent stuff for you...some are nuts! (NOT ME! :)

Most important that i wanted to chime in on. Take your local sports writer to lunch or supper....get to know him or her on a regular basis...do the same with a local radio news personalities, even sports tv personality if you have such a thing.

Ask them what they would do... before you tell them what you are going to do. If you just happen to use some of their suggestions...they will like that...and you will get more coverage on what your.. i mean...their ideas..i mean your ideas were.

Also let them know you are at THEIR SERVICE. Invite them to a practice or game or anything else you have goin on.
If they want to do something special..let them. For instant...after home games...they want to interview you each time. Don't waste their time. If they want to interview right after the game...DO THE INTERVIEW... THEN talk to the team. Keep them updated by email/calls etc.... on a "respect for what they do"..kind of way...of whats going on...and always get their thoughts. Have one of those great picture moms/dads send pics in after away games if they want it or even the home games too.

You can actually be suprised how much they (writers, radio) know about the local history, team sports, state sports etc...and how much of a resource they can be for you. They have some of the worst work times you can imagine...so when you respect them and their time and their knowledge... and help them with their time schedules... and listen to them...they will more than likely return the favor.
Good ideas. We also do a free team poster autograph session after a select game (as we do for basketball and other sports).Also we give a 1$ discount admission for anyone wearing school colors. Another idea im trying to work on is any rec or travel player wearing there jersey or shirt will get in free for a specific game(Saturday afternoon game).Trying to get this one is harder than i thought. Coaches are good with it .but the AD is not.

May 8, 2009
Florida
I feel gaining respect for your program really will start from you. The school I am at has a good footbal, basketball and baseball program. Though the softball program wasnt kicked to the back of the bus, it did seem as though it was more of a social sport and treated that way. I took a two sided approach to this. Starting from the athletes side, I made sure they understood that this was indeed a sport and expected that level of commitment. The program is fairly structured and the feedback I have gotten is that the girls have appreciated it. Practices, meetings, anythiing to do with the team is planned ahead and in written form. I do believe the administration appreciated that also. i am fortunate here that I do have support there. That was the "easy" part.

The tough part was working with the other teams. Up front, the coaches are all good people. I made it clear that I will be involved and run the program at all levels so that there is only one point of contact should an issue arise. I think they were used to being able to overrun the program when they needed the space which is always a premium. I studied the athletic handbook and used its rules. The other thing I learned quickly is to know the "other" rules the school uses as far as using the available space. Things like in season sports have precedent over others, etc. I am a fairly easy going person, but I adopted a no nonense policy. For example; When it was softball space, i want to be able to take the floor on time. I did not allow the next sport to assemble along the walls. The space is not large to start with, and certainly isnt safe for others to be in there. I would politely but firmly direct them out. To be fair though, I make sure we are cleaned up and clear when our time is up. I really think this kind of policy goes a long way. The few instances when I had an issue, it was quickly cleared up between head coaches without a problem. And the very few times the AD was involved was to clarify a rule - thtat is why you learn them.

Sorry about the long post. But the bottom line is I feel as though I have built respect for the team. The girls know I will stand with them and even though I have lost a couple, I now hear them say that they cant wait for the season to start. I do feel that this is the right direction.

Jan 15, 2009
Any long term success and improvement will come mainly from increasing the quality of your feeder programs at 10U/12U and especially 14U. It's unlikely that softball will overtake basketball (or volleyball, or soccer) as the #1 sport in your area. Softball is not the #1 girls sport in very many places but that should not stop you from creating a winning program, the schools you are competing likely have that same disparity and have to comprise a Varsity softball team knowing that probably 7-9 of the top 10 athletes in the school will never play softball.

You are already aware of this reality (needing a good feeder system) because you are touting your freshman pitching prospect and that is the kind of player that will be key to your success and if you routinely wait for them to just show up as freshman with proper skills you will be dissapointed. Your travel experience is great and having that one player come over is nice, but one player isn't a team. Rather than coaching a travel team at a high level in the summer, you might better off working with the best local 14U team you can put together because that is the future of your program. In addition it wouldn't hurt to be providing training to other youth coaches in the area and helping out with training pitchers in your area at all ages.

That's the recipe for success at Burnsville High in our neighboring city. Softball is probably #5 or #6 on the popularity chart (Volleyball, Basketball, Hockey, Swimming, and Soccer all are larger than Softball, and yet they were state champions at the highest level of HS competition last year. For at least 6 years their Varsity coach has been providing pitching lessons throughout the offseason for 16-24 kids of all ages, and though many later get private instruction, most started with her and continue to work with her on some level. She also is involved with the local youth association and helps train coaches, and has at times offered inexpensive clinics for catchers as well.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
Some good and some bad for softball in our area.

The bad! :mad:
A friend of my daughter goes to a HS where two years ago they raised over 12,000 dollars, sold sponsor ship on t-shirts which were sold by the kids, for the softball program, they play in the fall. The money was suppose to go to new uniforms, lights for the field and a concession stand, this was started by the assistance coach’s wife. The wife got into trouble because according to the school this took away from the donations to the football program. The uniforms, lights or concession never happen and the 12,000 dollars was never heard from. Then at the end of the year the football coach resigning and the reason was the football program was 900 thousand dollars over budget. It is not hard to figure where the 12,000 dollars went.

They were over a hundred kids playing football, they had 2 practice one starting at 6 AM before school and the other after school both practice secessions burned expensive lights for hours. The varsity would go to an expensive restaurant on the Friday before a game. My guess if the team had a good season then maybe nothing would have been said. I am glad to see that many kids get the opportunity to play football and I think that is how it should be. The girls sports get hardly anything and the school does charge to get into softball games. The softball field is the only field that does not have lights. Tennis, soccer, baseball, track and you name it has lights at this school.

My daughter goes to a small school (98 kids in her junior class) where the high school coaches for basketball and football work with the recreation programs and always have great teams. They almost always beat the school my daughters friend goes to and usually make state. The girls basketball is treated the same as the boys the girls made sweat 16 last year and are expected to be state champs this year and proud to say my daughter plays for the basketball team too.

The little bit of good! :cool:
Softball and baseball is not treated as the same as football and basketball the softball team was slightly over 500 in wins last fall. The softball games were always standing room only. A game in a tournament with the rival school, the game was 30 miles away in a division one softball stadium. The bleachers were full, the fence was completely surrounded with routy fans on both sides. Pretty impressive for a high school softball game I thought. The money raised by my daughter's high school team went ot the team. :cool:

All the high schools that I know of charge to get into the softball games in Georgia.

Jan 30, 2010
Only help they get with there funding along with 2 fundraisers,which are limited to a certain amount and not allowed to have left over money for next year

Jan 19, 2011
Going to chime in ...because i think its soo important on building programs whether hs softball or any other sport.

First to your questions...
games announced by P.A....YES...with music...people like events...make it an event, not just a game.
have senior night, YES...make it important/special for the girls and the younger girls will see that and have something else to look forward to.
"black out" game (play under the lights at night), YES...as my dd says...its "kul" to play at night.
special events, YES...hold a day camp or two day camp for younger kids each year...have team help you.... both the young and older girls get alot out of this! ...have a special home game night where you have invited the local girls all-stars and give them recognition and a game dedication...little prize awarded to them by the high school girls etc.
increase parent involvement YES...find a great balanced parent that will handle the parent stuff for you...some are nuts! (NOT ME! :)

Most important that i wanted to chime in on. Take your local sports writer to lunch or supper....get to know him or her on a regular basis...do the same with a local radio news personalities, even sports tv personality if you have such a thing.

Ask them what they would do... before you tell them what you are going to do. If you just happen to use some of their suggestions...they will like that...and you will get more coverage on what your.. i mean...their ideas..i mean your ideas were.

Also let them know you are at THEIR SERVICE. Invite them to a practice or game or anything else you have goin on.
If they want to do something special..let them. For instant...after home games...they want to interview you each time. Don't waste their time. If they want to interview right after the game...DO THE INTERVIEW... THEN talk to the team. Keep them updated by email/calls etc.... on a "respect for what they do"..kind of way...of whats going on...and always get their thoughts. Have one of those great picture moms/dads send pics in after away games if they want it or even the home games too.

You can actually be suprised how much they (writers, radio) know about the local history, team sports, state sports etc...and how much of a resource they can be for you. They have some of the worst work times you can imagine...so when you respect them and their time and their knowledge... and help them with their time schedules... and listen to them...they will more than likely return the favor.

Very good post! The only thing I can add is:
If they play other high school sports go and support them.
During the summer I always try to go watch them play with their travel teams.
Keep the parents off the practice field.....we have closed practices
The biggest thing is make it fun!! If you ask most players the moments they remember the most, I bet most will mention something from high school ball over travel ball.

Jul 11, 2010
DD is a freshman this year, though she has played on her HS team as a 7th & 8th grader. I have seen at her "State Championship Football" school that the AD is crafty enough to do just enough to get by. Baseball has a field that would rival most Minor League fields with a massive indoor hitting/workout complex. Field Gates are always locked when not in use. Softball field finally got covered dugouts two seasons ago and backstop pads last season. However, as soon as the season ends the temporary fence comes down, and the football team uses the softball field as their SECOND practice field. Every spring it is a HUGE project by the parents to get the field in marginal playing condition, with no help from the school. It is such a blessing for the girls to play at other, smaller schools in town that have top notch facilities rather than play home games.
Mind you this is the largest HS in a fairly large metropolitan area, with a top 15 softball program.
I took it upon myself last season to bring out a small PA and begin announcing every game along with music in between innings and during warmups.The girls LOVED it, so I have my plans set for this season....after I pay for 14 burned out bulbs in the scoreboard!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck