Coaching 6U practices: drills and games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 25, 2023
Coaching my second DD in 6U this spring with a team full of first-time players in our league. I have 1-3 assistant coaches, depending on luck of the day. Always a detailed practice plan. What are your favorite drills and games for 6U? I'm aspiring to include games in every practice to heighten the engagement and joy.

We had our first practice last week, and it's a trip... especially after helping coach my older DD in 12U in the fall.

First-time poster! With gratitude and great respect for this community, its knowledge and its discourse.

Mike

Jun 18, 2023
mostly just keep it moving. small groups, just doing softball things. Get as many tees as you can, and wiffle balls if you have 'em, and just have the kids swinging, put another ball on, let them swing. explain the mechanics to start with as a group, and then just go around spot-correcting as they struggle, putting balls on the tee, etc. Feels like 90% of what they need to learn is just the feel of the bat, the concept of hitting a ball with it.
You can add on other stuff as they get it, but really if they've learned where to stand, how to hold the bat, and the rough shape of a swing? they're ahead of the game.

same with throwing. we have two targets taped to the fence and we have them throw at it. 2-3 throws, back of the line. two lines at once sometimes, depending. and just stopping someone and correcting form as we can.

We did work up to 'games' too. I'd just have them bat off the tee 2-3x times depending on time, and line up everyone else in an arch at like 35 feet, try to get them to chase the hits and fling it at first (bonus points if you have a coach or older sibling there). Batter runs on the third swing, try to get them to overrun first, then teach them to run to second on the next play. When they come around they go to the first base side of my arch and the kid on the other ends goes on deck.

Gives them reps of hitting and instantly running, of running the bases in general, of chasing a live ball and thinking 'throw it to first'.

I'm starting first grade/coach pitch/8u with the group we did this last year/last two years in a few weeks, interested to see how well they're prepared for it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
TAG

You will thank me later if you have your kids play this game. This is a great game at the beginning of practice to let the kids run off some energy while learning very important softball rules.

Purpose: Teach kids to tag out runners.

Game 1:

Divide into 2 teams. Half players have a ball, the other half are runners. The runners are out if they are tagged WITH THE BALL, not the hand. Players have to stay on the infield. (The bases are nothing.)

Depending on field and number of kids, may need to use throw down bases about 40 feet apart.

Progress to Game 2:

If a runner is on a base or home, they can't be tagged out. BUT: a base can have only one runner. If another runner comes to the base, the runner on the base has to leave.

Don't worry about base paths or which way they run to bases. The runners can go from 1st to 3rd to home to 1st.

When you have only 4 players left, game is over. Teams switch.

BOZO BUCKET KNOCK OUT

Two pickle buckets, spaced apart. Two teams. Put a line in the dirt. Girl stands behind line and tries to toss the ball into the bucket. If she misses, she has to retrieve the ball and put into the bucket. First team to have all teammates put ball into bucket wins.

LONG DISTANCE THROWING CHAMPIONSHIP

This is the simplest game in the world, and the kids absolutely love it.

Have the girls stand in a line and throw the balls at the same time. Everyone has to wait until all balls are thrown, then girls go get the ball, move to the other side of field, and throw back toward the original position. Rinse and repeat.

Girl who throws the ball the farthest wins. LET THE GIRLS DECIDE WHO WON. STAY OUT OF IT. (This is their game. The game belongs to them, not the coaches, not the parents.)

Guess what? The girls become competitive and want to win. They start throwing the ball farther.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles