Unsafe and Toxic Culture-UH Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have heard negative things from this program for many years first hand from players. This podcast confirms some of the things I heard. Due your homework people!!! The type of things are happening in other programs. Why is there so much player and coach turnover year over year??? Even if you get your education paid, it is not worth it. I am glad these guys are talking about it, when no one else will.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I found these guys on x.com and one particular poster is tagging all the major softball accounts and Signees that will be on campus in the fall. This could get interesting.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yes, it will get interesting. Legally, I'd be careful what I did on social media with regards to "tagging" information to potential recruits. In the podcast, they made sure to mention that they ran this podcast past their lawyers first before airing to make sure that it was alright to air the discussion. In moderating one of the two sites I moderate, we had a poster come on and attack a coach of a team with statements that were out there. As soon as I read the post and the links, I took the post down. IMO, that person will be in court for his actions. His post/links were a dad's rage with no filter.

This discussion is taking place on other websites. It will be interesting to see if the university does a more intense investigation into the allegations. As made clear in the podcast several times, these are allegations.

Mar 29, 2023
Yes, it will get interesting. Legally, I'd be careful what I did on social media with regards to "tagging" information to potential recruits. In the podcast, they made sure to mention that they ran this podcast past their lawyers first before airing to make sure that it was alright to air the discussion. In moderating one of the two sites I moderate, we had a poster come on and attack a coach of a team with statements that were out there. As soon as I read the post and the links, I took the post down. IMO, that person will be in court for his actions. His post/links were a dad's rage with no filter.

This discussion is taking place on other websites. It will be interesting to see if the university does a more intense investigation into the allegations. As made clear in the podcast several times, these are allegations.
I wonder how good of a lawyer(s) a small podcast team has. :unsure:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I wonder how good of a lawyer(s) a small podcast team has. :unsure:
Depends upon who they know. I will not go into detail but I needed a lawyer once for one of the sites I moderate. It so happens that I am friends with a gentleman who was the President of the Bar Association for the State of Illinois. When asked what it would take to hire him, he told me that I could not afford him. He has over 100 lawyers in his firm. He took the case for free and we won.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
They're relaying accusations of questionable/unprofessional behavior and presenting that in a reasonably balanced way. Their conclusions are expressed as opinions. It's not unlike what you hear on a daily sports radio broadcast.

Defamation claims cost lots of money to bring and aren't easy to win, especially for a public figure. The bar is pretty high...statements presented as fact (vs opinion) must be proven to be false and, for a public figure, made with actual malice or reckless disregard. The truth is an absolute defense.

Oct 14, 2020
They're relaying accusations of questionable/unprofessional behavior and presenting that in a reasonably balanced way. Their conclusions are expressed as opinions. It's not unlike what you hear on a daily sports radio broadcast.

Defamation claims cost lots of money to bring and aren't easy to win, especially for a public figure. The bar is pretty high...statements presented as fact (vs opinion) must be proven to be false and, for a public figure, made with actual malice or reckless disregard. The truth is an absolute defense.
They also take a lot to defend and like any civil case, discovery is a PITA and a trial, should it get there (you're defending yourself and not settling, right?) hinges on a fickle group of people who might just think you're the bad guy.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
They also take a lot to defend and like any civil case, discovery is a PITA and a trial, should it get there (you're defending yourself and not settling, right?) hinges on a fickle group of people who might just think you're the bad guy.

Like many things, the worry about a defamation suit is usually more prevalent than the actual threat. Only a very small percentage of these types of cases ever make it to court. Further, homeowner, renter, and business insurance policies commonly cover the legal defense cost of a defamation case. If you have an umbrella policy like I do, that's a whole lot of legal defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym