University of Memphis Softball Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I heard Cal State Fullerton requires a masters degree to be the Head Coach. Do most big time schools require master's degrees?
Do you need a masters degree to be a good coach? I wonder how many MLB coaches or managers have masters degrees? Probably not many.
Maybe this is where bestowing honorary degrees come in.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
That program has really struggled. They've been the American's speed-bag for the last four years. Really nowhere to go but up. Pretty sure that anyone here couldn't do any worse.

Aug 21, 2008
Most colleges have a requirement for coaches. The job ads usually say "Bachelors degree required, master's degree preferred".

Now I have coached at college but I never went a university. Many places have an "experience equals degree" clause, which is how I've been hired. There are some schools that absolutely will not take a coach who doesn't have a secondary education. When Mike White got to Texas he wanted to bring Florida State's Travis Wilson with him, both being from New Zealand and all. Texas would not hire Wilson, regardless of his credentials because he had no degree. He has since got his degree from FSU, and will likely be a head coach some day.

The fall after I graduated high school, when everyone else was going to college, I went to New Zealand to begin my career and life playing softball. I did that for 10 straight years going to/from NZ during the winter and USA season in our summer. It's ironic that my choice to play, compete and succeed at the International level of softball now makes me unqualified for coaching jobs. And I get it. Schools are in the business of selling degrees. They want coaches to have one too. No I don't think it actually matters.

But make no mistake, I've been told I'm unqualified for pitching coach jobs because I didn't go to college. Between that and being told schools are required to hire a female coach, regardless of experience, knowledge, or who the best candidate is. I've been told a few times by HC's that they are instructed they MUST hire a female regardless of who's more qualified. So between gender and not having a degree, I have 2 strikes against me and my chances of ever working at Oklahoma!!!!

Jan 28, 2017
So
Most colleges have a requirement for coaches. The job ads usually say "Bachelors degree required, master's degree preferred".

Now I have coached at college but I never went a university. Many places have an "experience equals degree" clause, which is how I've been hired. There are some schools that absolutely will not take a coach who doesn't have a secondary education. When Mike White got to Texas he wanted to bring Florida State's Travis Wilson with him, both being from New Zealand and all. Texas would not hire Wilson, regardless of his credentials because he had no degree. He has since got his degree from FSU, and will likely be a head coach some day.

The fall after I graduated high school, when everyone else was going to college, I went to New Zealand to begin my career and life playing softball. I did that for 10 straight years going to/from NZ during the winter and USA season in our summer. It's ironic that my choice to play, compete and succeed at the International level of softball now makes me unqualified for coaching jobs. And I get it. Schools are in the business of selling degrees. They want coaches to have one too. No I don't think it actually matters.

But make no mistake, I've been told I'm unqualified for pitching coach jobs because I didn't go to college. Between that and being told schools are required to hire a female coach, regardless of experience, knowledge, or who the best candidate is. I've been told a few times by HC's that they are instructed they MUST hire a female regardless of who's more qualified. So between gender and not having a degree, I have 2 strikes against me and my chances of ever working at Oklahoma!!!!
Some HS football jobs require a masters.

May 29, 2015
So between gender and not having a degree, I have 2 strikes against me and my chances of ever working at Oklahoma!!!!

I assume you aren't related to the head coach . . . so . . .

c7b04292-9f44-4272-a6ae-93e3b1d1eadf_text.gif

May 16, 2016
Illinois

Daughter went to a college camp in Chicago (Easton Rawlings Tournament) FSU and many other good softball schools were at the camp. Travis Wilson seemed to be very friendly with the girls. I have no idea what position Travis played but he was very good at pitching front toss to the girls that attended the FSU portion of the camp. Travis was the only person at the camp that was throwing front toss with a full underhand motion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atilbury