Umps are human (I guess)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What is the mechanic for signaling that the runner is out for intentionally interfering with the ball? I assume there would be a point to the runner at some point.

Just make the out signal, verbalize 'Dead Ball, Interference' and indicate the runner is out. Yeah, I probably point at the runner as part of the out signal.

It sure looks like he's saying this was a clean catch. Not sure why he had to do a whole dance to make that point.

Not that I approve of what he is doing, but his intention is to sell the call by being BIG and confident. You can do that with simply tone, volume and emphasis on the proper call mechanic. Don't need to make anything up. Even if he is wrong, there is no doubt he is confident in what he is calling (whatever that is). If you show doubt in your calls, it makes questioning a call easy because clearly you are not sure.

This is of course a fine balance - you can be perceived or come across as arrogant versus confident very easily. Not an easy skill and one that for most people requires a LOT of experience to get good at- top level umpires are great at this (and it still occasionally happens)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
This is of course a fine balance - you can be perceived or come across as arrogant versus confident very easily. Not an easy skill and one that for most people requires a LOT of experience to get good at- top level umpires are great at this (and it still occasionally happens)

Yeah, I get it. And I agree to be confident.

I don't see this as arrogant, exactly. It reminded me of this hilarious and insane Joey Crawford blocking foul call.

May 29, 2015
What is the mechanic for signaling that the runner is out for intentionally interfering with the ball? I assume there would be a point to the runner at some point.

@marriard and I are going to differ on this one a little bit . . .

"TIME!" [hands in the air]
Maybe a point to the runner at that point (if it is needed)
OUT signal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalWood1013