Umpire ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ratings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
Met a D1 blue in an elevator when a coaching class coincided with an umpire convention (who knew?). He was nice and talkative, and seemed honest and sincere, and mentioned that for college tournament weekend like @marriard mentioned, he was pulling down between $3-5k. No idea of any details like expenses, travel, etc. Expect it was pay your way as marriage noted. Got the feeling he was a seasoned veteran, too.

Jul 27, 2021
How little money for D1?
One of my partners does D1 and is in pretty high demand. It is a clearly a status thing for him ("I do D1 college softball") but he is also a tremendous umpire.
I remember he did a weekend series out of state as part of the Power5 conference he officiates in... 3 games - 1 game Friday night, double header Saturday. I think the pay was $2000... which sounds good but that included everything. So paid for his own flights, hotel, transport, meals, etc. plus he had to leave work early Friday to make sure he could get to he Friday night game in time (7pm start - have to be AT THE STADIUM by 4:30pm - 5pm latest)

So figure it ended up clear $800 before taxes (yes taxes in college umpiring). 12 hours of work plus travel time... and you can't live on that. If it is local they don't give you the travel money - it is still a better deal, but it is no living wage money.
800/12=$66.67 hr

Most likely 3 person crew

Jul 19, 2021
How little money for D1?
One of my partners does D1 and is in pretty high demand. It is a clearly a status thing for him ("I do D1 college softball") but he is also a tremendous umpire.
I remember he did a weekend series out of state as part of the Power5 conference he officiates in... 3 games - 1 game Friday night, double header Saturday. I think the pay was $2000... which sounds good but that included everything. So paid for his own flights, hotel, transport, meals, etc. plus he had to leave work early Friday to make sure he could get to he Friday night game in time (7pm start - have to be AT THE STADIUM by 4:30pm - 5pm latest)

So figure it ended up clear $800 before taxes (yes taxes in college umpiring). 12 hours of work plus travel time... and you can't live on that. If it is local they don't give you the travel money - it is still a better deal, but it is no living wage money.
You're allocating $1200 for a flight, one night in a hotel, and 4 meals? Where is he staying, the Four Seasons?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
You're allocating $1200 for a flight, one night in a hotel, and 4 meals? Where is he staying, the Four Seasons?
Well, it could be two nights, depending on availability of flights out of town. Remember, some of these schools are off the beaten path. You also have to figure he needs a rental car. Still, $800 seems a little low.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
2 nights min - even if there is a late flight you can't guarantee you will make it depending on game time so you are staying Saturday night, 6 meals, 3 days rental car. It all adds up. It isn't a lot especially when you figure the seasons are short and you can't do it every day even in season.

May 13, 2023
Really wasn't looking at this discussion as a being about pay but since it has evolved that direction...
Meals are meals. Going to eat in Hometown and out of town. That cost doesn't have to inflate cost for any reason other than choice of food.

At events Umpires get paid the same regardless of the quality of how they umpire.
Aka- good and lousy umpires get paid the same.

it's astonishing how for whatever reason umpires at Friendly's seem to not be as quality.

Pgf and TCS umpires seem to have been the best I see.

College umpires May hold more 'stringent style' as to being more 'professional' but kind of the same as the best of pgf and triple crown.

High School mixed bag. Often see the Umpire who wants to control everything regardless of its relevancy to the game.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Really wasn't looking at this discussion as a being about pay but since it has evolved that direction...
Meals are meals. Going to eat in Hometown and out of town. That cost doesn't have to inflate cost for any reason other than choice of food.

At events Umpires get paid the same regardless of the quality of how they umpire.
Aka- good and lousy umpires get paid the same.

it's astonishing how for whatever reason umpires at Friendly's seem to not be as quality.

Pgf and TCS umpires seem to have been the best I see.

High School mixed bag. Often see the Umpire who wants to control everything regardless of its relevancy to the game.
What's the cost of cooking at home versus having to eat out. Aldo tell me what places to eat are open after you've finished your last game at 11 pm?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
What's the cost of cooking at home versus having to eat out. Aldo tell me what places to eat are open after you've finished your last game at 11 pm?

🤷‍♀️If it's important to defend eating where, why and how here's a little bit more Chit Chat

Been in softball for many decades. Definitely don't eat out at a restaurant all the time. Grocery food works fine!
If people want to they can Be on a Budget ...means eating on a budget. There is even fast food on a budget. Like it or lump it. Many families are put in the same situation when traveling just as umpires are.

If this is about pay scale that is a much larger discussion compared with other jobs, now compare to see that umpires can still make more than many other jobs.

➡️Choices choices choices

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
If it's important to defend eating where, why and how here's a little bit more Chit Chat

I've been in softball for many decades definitely don't eat out at a restaurant all the time. Grocery food works fine! Learned very early in life Family was on a budget. When I was in travel, would go out to restaurants with the team and not order meals. Because I was on a budget and had food purchased at the grocery store.
If people want to they can Be on a Budget ...means eating on a budget. There is even fast food on a budget. Like it or lump it. Many families are put in the same situation when traveling just as umpires are.

If this is truly about pay scale that is a much larger discussion compared with other jobs, now compare to see that umpires can still make more than many other jobs.

Choices choices choices
If umpiring pays so much why isn't there an endless supply?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00