Umpire ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ ratings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
On another tangent ... It feels a little yucky to me to video other people's kids and even yuckier to post it on the internet.
It's done with Game Changer in almost every game. I find it extremely rare that a team locks down video to only confirmed family members only. Maybe at the young age groups, but almost every other team makes the video available to anyone with an account.

May 29, 2015
I don't know if I'd work for a UIC that I had to record video for and as a UIC I don't think I'd want an umpire wearing a body cam like he's Sheriff Grady.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Oh, no, no, no … the UIC rolls his eyes as hard as the rest of us.

They are proactively defensive. ;)

May 13, 2023
On another tangent ... It feels a little yucky to me to video other people's kids and even yuckier to post it on the internet.
✔️

This past summer I worked with a couple of umpires who wore body cameras and audio recorded on their phones. They said it was for "training" but ... most of the time there were sending it to the TD complaining about coaches or problems (sometimes of their own doing).
Hmmm 🤔 good to have some evaluation going on. As long as everybody knows things are being recorded!
Do think that *adding evaluations of coaching Behavior fits in the evaluation category. That might help implement structure to handle stuff.

May 13, 2023
It's done with Game Changer in almost every game. I find it extremely rare that a team locks down video to only confirmed family members only. Maybe at the young age groups, but almost every other team makes the video available to anyone with an account.
Yes in public can photo/ video whatever. And I do think Game Changer video is helpful. Like you commented can make it open or restricted. But that's different than the category of people who are filming somebody else's kid to bring them up as subject matter on the internet.
If I ever post a student it is with the permission of the parent.
I'm not saying everybody has to follow the same guideline. Simply notice
Manners and Scruples are all over the place. The internet is a catch-all for it.

Jun 11, 2013
This is kind of off the subject but thought I'd share. In AAA baseball they use a challenge system and automated B/S system on the first 3 games of a series and for the last 3 (all 6 game series) they use a challenge system where P/C or Hitter can challenge a P which goes to the automated system. Once in a while the ump is off quite a bit but the vast majority the pitch is fractions of an inch one way or the other. Being that this is 1 step from the majors you would think they umps would be good, but seeing a lot of games every year you see that they are very good.

May 13, 2023
This is kind of off the subject but thought I'd share. In AAA baseball they use a challenge system and automated B/S system on the first 3 games of a series and for the last 3 (all 6 game series) they use a challenge system where P/C or Hitter can challenge a P which goes to the automated system. Once in a while the ump is off quite a bit but the vast majority the pitch is fractions of an inch one way or the other. Being that this is 1 step from the majors you would think they umps would be good, but seeing a lot of games every year you see that they are very good.
Thanks for adding your post ! A few questions please.

Does the game seem to flow the same as live umpire ?
Are you noticing a difference of batters approaches in the box with the automated system?
How about the crowd and coaches responses to this? Example has the complaints to pitch determinations decreased or increased?

Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for adding your post ! A few questions please.

Does the game seem to flow the same as live umpire ?
Are you noticing a difference of batters approaches in the box with the automated system?
How about the crowd and coaches responses to this? Example has the complaints to pitch determinations decreased or increased?
It's really fast to get the pitch to umpire so the crowd really doesn't even know unless someone tells them. When the full ball/strike is used there are no arguments. The P's and hitters adjusted quickly although there isn't much of a change. The only time the crowd gets on it is when a P crossed up the C and throws one on the other side of the plate but it's still in strike zone. The system shows on the scoreboard where each P is on full B/S days. On challenge games if someone challenges it comes up on the scoreboard like in tennis. Each team can be wrong 3 times and once that happens they can't challenge.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
In Illinois, the Illinois High School Association uses coach rankings as part of the selection process for post-season. After every varsity contest, the coach is supposed to log in to a portal and provide feedback on the official (all sports). Do you know what that feedback looks like? Rate the official on a scale of 1-5. That is all. There is no breakdown, no components, no space for feedback. Oh ... and officials do not get to see the results. That is NO help in making your officials better.

Also, those ratings are only a small percentage of the selection process. I was on the softball committee a few years ago and I asked about that. I forget the exact number, but for some reason 30% is in my head. Basically, the ratings are close to useless.

The IHSA doesn't care if umpires are good. There's no interest in providing additional training for the poor ones. There's no interest in ensuring the umpires know or follow any rules at all.

There are also a LOT of unregistered umpires working games. I've had more than one come to me and tell me they umpire HS softball/baseball but they're not even in the system. Maybe they were at one point?

It's really not possible to overstate how poor the umpiring is in Chicago, especially in the Public League (which we are not in, but we get those umps for away non-conference games). The worst was probably the guy who wanted to leave so badly that in the second inning (SECOND!), it was a 10-run game and he tried to end it. Then he stopped calling any strikes for the losing team for 4-5 batters. Then he just left. There is no way to ensure that guy doesn't umpire games anymore.

This summer we've had a guy a bunch who is one of those who works games but isn't in the IHSA system. Every single games he confirms our league uses HS rules (we have a couple modifications: 6 inning games, 1:45 time limit). And every game he finds some new rule to invent. He tried to force me to remove a pitcher for hitting too many batters, then said I should "show him" in the rule book where it's not a rule. You know, show him what doesn't exist. He does little stuff, too, like forcing on-deck hitters to be behind the batter, which drives me crazy because it specifically says where each team should be in the rules he goes on and on about enforcing. He likes to draw batter's box lines for hitters who are 100% within the established box. His lines are never close to what they should be. I think he just likes to embarrass the kids, honestly. These are little things, but he's generally terrible all around.

That guy works HS games regularly. I won't use him for our home games, but he's still out there working. I'm certain he'd resist any feedback or suggestions to open the rule book or get more training, too.

Love playing in the suburbs or against private schools. Their umpires are almost always better. I try to poach those guys for our home games when possible.

May 13, 2023
Back in travel playing on the Batbusters there was an Umpire we had frequently in the Southern California area.
He seemed to always be drunk.
( like drunk from the night before...)
He was very nice. And consistently umpired the same.
⭐⭐⭐⭐️ stars for consistency!

He had a smiling face like WC Fields.
Can remember the times some coaches would try and argue a call he made.
Think the look on his face and body posture pretty much said...
'do i care what you're saying?'
And the arguments would diminish quickly.

🗣SSSTRIKE
Screenshot_20230809-103550_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2023
It's really fast to get the pitch to umpire so the crowd really doesn't even know unless someone tells them. When the full ball/strike is used there are no arguments. The P's and hitters adjusted quickly although there isn't much of a change. The only time the crowd gets on it is when a P crossed up the C and throws one on the other side of the plate but it's still in strike zone. The system shows on the scoreboard where each P is on full B/S days. On challenge games if someone challenges it comes up on the scoreboard like in tennis. Each team can be wrong 3 times and once that happens they can't challenge.

When I first heard they were trying out the automatic B/S in minors I just assumed it would be every pitch. But when read about the other version, I thought it was brilliant. Not only does it give the batter a chance to correct a bad call, it adds a whole new drama to when and if they will challenge without taking the umpire out completely.

Won't be shocked if the challenge version comes to majors soon. Did anyone see card from Laz Diaz.....yikes?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff