The level of coaches & umpires

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
There
It is unfortunate for everybody on the field when a less experienced umpire is over their head in a game that goes too fast. They have to get their experience somewhere but it shouldn't be in a place where they are drowning behind the plate by themselves. Would you agree? This is what I see causes the most conflict and people questioning and start berating umpires. They are supposed to be official and when they do not have the experience to handle doing so this is when it is noticeable.
There does have to be a first time. I remember when I started umpiring I did up to 14U, I had played, coached and been around baseball and softball my whole life. I had a really good grasp of rules and flow of the game. My buddy needed a last minute fill on for a weekend tournament 16U and 18U...I said sure how hard could it be? Well we were running late because the field was in the middle of nowhere and we got lost, I gear up kids have been waiting for 5 or 10 minutes, I do a quick shake hands grab line ups at the plate, wasn't even watching the pitcher take warm up as I talked to my buddy for a quick second then said OK let's play ball. It ended up being a 18U game, I kid you not I honestly do not think I saw the first pitch it was just a blur. I get up take a deep breath and focus make it through the first half inning walk down to my buddy at first base who is grinning ear to ear. It didn't take long to adjust over the course of the game and by the end of the weekend I was fine but it was a different world. Honestly though until your are in college and the coaches and umpires are making real money I think there really isn't much room to complain it's hit and miss on both sides.

Mar 10, 2020
I never said umpires all do a good job, only that complaining by parents during a game is pointless (actually didn’t say that but am now) and that some parents would complain regardless because they are clueless and only complain because they think Suzy is getting screwed and not because the umpire did anything wrong..
Questioning the umpire's ability to officiate the correct rules is a problem that's not the parent's nor coaches fault. That is all on the umpires who are getting it wrong.

Jan 22, 2011
Questioning the umpire's ability to officiate the correct rules is a problem that's not the parent's nor coaches fault. That is all on the umpires who are getting it wrong.

When I was HC, I explained to my players that everyone makes mistakes. Coaches, Players, Umpires. If we deserve to win, we need to play well enough that a couple mistakes by a coach, player, or umpire doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

My favorite is when parents and coaches groan when an 0-2 pitch isn't called a strike. If a coach is regularly calling for a strike to be pitched on an 0-2 or 1-2 count, the parents, players, and umpires should be giving that coach a hard time!

Mar 10, 2020
I don't have a problem with a coach questioning a ruling but that isn't a parent's responsibility.
You can go around and round with your own observation that the umpires aren't always right and the parents don't have a margin to speak up. Your argument is flawed because it does not recognize that umpires make their situation worse when they are blatantly wrong. If they were apt and got rules correct they would not have the monkey on their back.

Jun 8, 2016
You can go around and round with your own observation that the umpires aren't always right and the parents don't have a margin to speak up. Your argument is flawed because it does not recognize that umpires make their situation worse they are blatantly wrong. If they were apt and got rules correct they would not have the monkey on their back.
and you can continue to justify acting like an as% at an amateur softball game 🤷‍♂️. Knock yourself out..

Mar 10, 2020
Umpiring is a job that does not have a boss overseeing performance.
It is also a job that is comparable with others in the same trade. When that disparity becomes obvious the consumer compares the job they are paying for. That consumer has the wherewithal to know the rule book and when it is being applied incorrectly. When the official is wrong that is on the officials back. There is no argument that can be made that will say that all officials will be equal at their job. There is an argument for people questioning it because it should be correct. Like it or lump it that is the way it is.

Jun 8, 2016
Umpiring is a job that does not have a boss overseeing performance.
It is also a job that is comparable with others in the same trade. When that disparity becomes obvious the consumer compares the job they are paying for. That consumer has the wherewithal to know the rule book and when it is being applied incorrectly. When the official is wrong that is on the officials back. There is no argument that can be made that will say that all officials will be equal at their job. There is an argument for people questioning it because it should be correct. Like it or lump it that is the way it is.
So I assume when a bad call goes your way you will speak up about that too, right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28