Ump calls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2023
Really just venting...

Played in a local 12u tournament last Saturday. My DD pitches and has been pitching for 3 years now. She likes to throw a lot of screwballs, curveballs, and corner pitches. You could tell the ump for our first game was new and it quickly became apparent that anything that wasn't directly down the center of the plate was going to be called a ball. Okay, so DD adjusted and targeted more center plate and of course the balls kept getting smacked back at her. Oh well, we shrugged it off as the ump being new and moved on. Our third game of the day, not being mean but it is fair to say that the ump for this game was no spring chicken. He no longer was able to bend his knees and literally had to stand completely upright while behind the catcher. This led to another issue where anything my DD threw that was slightly above the knee or even mid-thigh was being called a ball. He would only call strikes on pitches at waist level or higher. Overall, a very weird day for umps. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Mar 29, 2023
I've seen my fair share of those "just throw it in the middle" umpires. Very frustrating.

Of course, I'm not sure how to even argue strike zones when umpires blatantly ignore what the strike zone is pervasively across the country. I've seen quite a few umpires on social media admit they know NFHS rules are not waist to knees but admit they call it that way anyway.

If we don't want to follow the ruleset, why not change it instead of umpires seeming to agree to some fake zone?

Mar 29, 2023
As long as the zone is the same for both teams, both teams get the same effect of it.
I'll disagree, because different zones are better for different pitchers. If you throw at the top end of your age group, you can throw down the middle with more success than someone average or below in speed.

Those middle to below speed pitchers have to work the zone to be successful. They can't just start throwing unhittable gas.

May 27, 2013
Really just venting...

Played in a local 12u tournament last Saturday. My DD pitches and has been pitching for 3 years now. She likes to throw a lot of screwballs, curveballs, and corner pitches. You could tell the ump for our first game was new and it quickly became apparent that anything that wasn't directly down the center of the plate was going to be called a ball. Okay, so DD adjusted and targeted more center plate and of course the balls kept getting smacked back at her. Oh well, we shrugged it off as the ump being new and moved on. Our third game of the day, not being mean but it is fair to say that the ump for this game was no spring chicken. He no longer was able to bend his knees and literally had to stand completely upright while behind the catcher. This led to another issue where anything my DD threw that was slightly above the knee or even mid-thigh was being called a ball. He would only call strikes on pitches at waist level or higher. Overall, a very weird day for umps. Anyone else experience anything similar?
Unfortunately I’d say get used to it. You will see this at all levels, even in college. Have her focus more on changing the pitch speeds when she gets umps like this. Not much else you can do when you need to throw down the middle and aren‘t being given low and high parts of the zone, either.

Sep 18, 2023
I'll disagree, because different zones are better for different pitchers. If you throw at the top end of your age group, you can throw down the middle with more success than someone average or below in speed.

Those middle to below speed pitchers have to work the zone to be successful. They can't just start throwing unhittable gas.
This ☝️. My DD has worked hard being a movement pitcher and hitting corners. She can adjust and throw down the middle but she is usually more effective moving the ball around. Obviously, doesn't apply when we get an ump that wants pitches down the middle.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
I'll disagree, because different zones are better for different pitchers
I agree that pitchers may have their better pitch locations to throw.
From that
What the strike zone is creates a strategy.
The strike zone is possibly the most inconsistent thing from game to game.

Because the strike zone may be inconsistent game to game.
That might be one of the most important things to be able to control and apply our performances to accommodate the umpire.

Whether it is a good or bad Strike Zone by anyone watching the game really doesn't matter. What matters is the players on the field have to contend with hopefully the same strike zone for both teams.

This affects offense and defense.
All The players.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
I agree that pitchers may have their better pitch locations to throw.
From that
Teams generally have different pitchers they can select from... * certain ones may be a better fit for that umpire. Regardless the strike zone is possibly the most inconsistent thing from game to game.

Because the strike zone may be inconsistent game to game.
That might be one of the most important things to be able to be flexible to control our performances to accommodate the umpire

Whether it is a good or bad Strike Zone by anyone watching the game really doesn't matter. What matters is the players on the field have to contend with hopefully the same strike zone for both teams.

All The players have to deal with the effect of the different strike zones.
With the quantity of teams and supply of pitchers, I'm surprised you have teams that have a deep enough bullpen to be able to switch their pitcher to accommodate what incorrect zone an umpire wants to call that day.

I get what you're saying but just don't subscribe that we should just get over umpires being bad and not following the rules. The strike zone is very specifically defined in the rules and should be followed. They do not get to make up what their version of a strike is, and I will die on that hill. I know I probably WILL die on that hill because it's not going to change, though.

When folks wonder why everyone only cares about speed, and why the pitcher that throws with amazing movement but doesn't hit the highest speed possible doesn't get any love, this is why. Why bring that pitcher in when you can recruit the zero-movement/high-speed pitcher? The latter will have more success because she doesn't have to worry about games where the umpire decides they get to ignore the rules on what a strike actually is.

I'm talking more about the umpires that LEGITIMATELY _make up_ their own zone, not ones that are doing their best but missing calls, fwiw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scoons831