Trying the Riseball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
DD wanted to see if she could learn the rise ball about a month ago. I wasn't too optimistic but being the crazy bucket dad I am with a DD with absolutely no fear in trying new things I agreed. Honestly, we haven't spent as much time as we should while learning a new pitch but have spent enough on it to know the basics of the pitch. I am going to post two different slo mo vids. One of the regular fastball and one of the Riseball. The Riseball has pretty good bullet spin and finishes up in the zone where it should and the fastball has good IR spin. As you can see in the slo mo vids both pitches look pretty much the same as it pertains to her mechanics. The grip is different as well as the follow through but mechanically things seem pretty much the same. What can DD do differently to help her with the Riseball? What is she already doing correctly, if anything? Any input would be appreciated!
The first vid is the rise. Second vid is the fastball.

[video=youtube_share;gjI0mDI0YE0]http://youtu.be/gjI0mDI0YE0[/video]

Feb 7, 2013
to me in the first its a fastball with bullet where as the 2nd is the rise

Disagree with the above statement.

To the OP, I really like your DDs stride, arm whip and front side resistance. Regarding the bullet spin rise ball, as long as its axis is tilted up, I don't see a problem with it. If it's good enough for Sarah Pauly, it's good enough for my DD.

The one area I would work on is her load and drive mechanics. My right handed DD has been working on slightly picking her pivot foot up and sliding it to the left side of the rubber and reinforcing the concept of "slow to load, then explode".

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Wow! Very nice overall! I'd work on hitting her spots and coming up with a strategy for how to use it. For fun, have her play with a feel of whipping her fingers under and up the front of the ball and see what you/she think.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
That kids mechanics look amazing. Holy crap!
Her RB will just take some reps, she just needs to stay a bit more open and work on getting under the ball some more.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
LOL.........you know it is. However, im not too concerned with it while pitching in the backyard with nothing to push from. I guess I should have stated in my OP that "if anyone had any input that pertained to the Riseball or general advice on how to achieve Riseball mechanics, please reply". I just assumed OILF had moved on but I we all know what assuming leads to.....

Last edited:
Boomers
Mechanically she has what it takes to throw a riseball......great tilt/frontside resistance/balance and timing. I can't really see the spin orientation or guess at the axis of rotation......I do see her slicing into release so I am guessing she is getting some type of backspin. Keep up the good work with your kid. Having pitches that move on different planes will really set her apart from the crowd.

Jun 12, 2015
LOL.........you know it is. However, im not too concerned with it while pitching in the backyard with nothing to push from. I guess I should have stated in my OP that "if anyone had any input that pertained to the Riseball or general advice on how to achieve Riseball mechanics, please reply". I just assumed OILF had moved on but I we all know what assuming leads to.....

I don't know what the OILF comment means. I've noticed most umps don't call illegal pitches on a crow hop anyway so I was wondering if that was actually illegal. My DD's only 9, not even pitching a full year, so I'm still learning. Thanks for the sarcasm though. Always appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach