Tournaments in the Fall are for Learning - or is it just me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
Maybe its just me.

I am talking 12U and early 14U (09s playing at 14U)

I see fall tournaments as practice. The goal is to let the girls play competitive competition. Identify things that need improving or to built upon work on those items...work on something new......then play the next tournament......

Everyone is so caught up on winning or losing instead of improving......

Because our team is a grade based team 7th graders. we have a few december 08s that is forcing us up to 14U...we are fine...just need more practice and I see tournaments as that.

Or maybe its just me.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Maybe its just me.

I see fall tournaments as practice. The goal is to let the girls play competitive competition. Identify things that need improving or to built upon work on those items...work on something new......then play the next tournament......

Because our team is a grade based team 7th graders. we have a few december 08s that is forcing us up to 14U...we are fine...just need more practice and I see tournaments as that.

Or maybe its just me.
Everyone has different goals. Short-term and long-term.
Possibly depending on where you live in the country and being shut down by the snow and weather conditions seasonal triumphs may have different value.

It's just my opinion but I think every team should be playing to be competitive to win at different points in their season and not just the end of the year.

Learning to be competitive is learning to be a resilient athlete. And to be competitive sometimes there are different coaching decisions and players decisions that must be made to accomplish this.
Compete for a spot and compete to play are part of being in a competitive sport. Not everyone will get to be on the field will affect players differently. Playing to win players can have a different sense of intensity knowing that the score at the end of the game matters.
Win or go home is not just winning or losing,
its having a goal!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Fall ball is what you want it to be. For some teams it's an introduction to a new age group or skill level (C, B, A, etc). For others it's for players joining new teams to get familiar with each other. Or for players/coaches to try each other out and see if the fit is good. It can also be a great way for teams who have played together all year to wrap up their year before taking a break through Winter. Fall is where you also see some fun/themed tournaments as well. Halloween being a prime example. Some simply want to keep playing competitive ball and use what they learned all year long to win a tournament or two or three. I don't see anything wrong with any of it.

Oct 2, 2018
Georgia
Maybe its just me.

Or maybe its just me.
I think this is a positive way to look at every season in Travel ball...if every parents thought like this then it would be much easier to understand the goal is development and not $3 rings.

Sep 7, 2020
We joined a new team in September. The team is a 1st year 14U and they have 8 returning players and added 3 more - DD being one of them. They played in their first (and only) Fall tournament this weekend and finished second place. This was a getting to know each other as well as getting an idea of how the competition will be next spring/summer at 14U. They are playing in a couple doubleheader friendlies over the next couple weekends then indoors for the winter.
76a194bfd0055070ce18b98e950830ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Winning is important at any age and level.

Does that mean you roll with your best team every day, no IMO.

Your going to need everyone at some point and it is the coaches job to make sure they are ready. That includes getting them on the field.

Does that mean you sit your best player all season to let other players get playing time? Again no IMO.

May 17, 2012
You are what your record says you are.

At the end of the season you want to be just north of .500 in the win/loss category. I don't discount games played in the fall and winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles