Tournaments in the Fall are for Learning - or is it just me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Maybe its just me.

I am talking 12U and early 14U (09s playing at 14U)

I see fall tournaments as practice. The goal is to let the girls play competitive competition. Identify things that need improving or to built upon work on those items...work on something new......then play the next tournament......

Everyone is so caught up on winning or losing instead of improving......

Because our team is a grade based team 7th graders. we have a few december 08s that is forcing us up to 14U...we are fine...just need more practice and I see tournaments as that.

Or maybe its just me.
If you have a team of 7th graders than you are doing the right thing by playing 14U. The 08 7th grader and the 09 7th grader both have the exact same amount of softball left so you might as well get in the extra year of big girl softball in. There are teams full of January and February 09 birthdays that are out there handing out butt whoopings to 5th and 6th graders and they are not accomplishing much. The physical differences tend to disappear in 14U. Your 7th grade team is probably not much smaller than a team full of 8th or 9th graders.

In general I think you should find good competition and then play to win...whether it is fall or spring. There is a disturbing trend in my part of the country where they are turning more and more 14U tournaments into showcase style... drop dead...no bracket. It seems they are concerned that their 13 year old DD's favorite college coach might drop by and miss the game because it wasn't at the appointed time.

Jun 26, 2019
The Fall is for whatever your team determines it’s for. But it is not reasonable to expect that to be the same thing as the teams you’re playing against.

And whatever it’s for may not be the same thing weekend to weekend.
Exactly, it depends where each team is at amd where are ach kid on that team is at. Some coaches want to get innings for kids in new positions or that are new to the sport. Some might have a group that needs some intensity. It all depends

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
At younger ages, Fall is for figuring out and building upon a new team and adjusting to a new age group for an existing one. Winning shouldn't be the only consideration, but if you're in a competitive environment for players, you'd better show some ability to win ball games.

At older age groups, there are showcases and other competitive tournaments. It's time to do the best you can.

Jun 4, 2019
14U in my area is almost all 8th and 9th graders. 06/07. I’m a fan of playing in your age unless you are a special talent. Which there are few of. I see these teams all the time that play up, get beat, then say how going they are. Play your correct age division.

Apr 20, 2015
14U in my area is almost all 8th and 9th graders. 06/07. I’m a fan of playing in your age unless you are a special talent. Which there are few of. I see these teams all the time that play up, get beat, then say how going they are. Play your correct age division.
All 06s should move up in the fall. 16u is their correct division. They are technically allowed to continue in 14u until dec 31st but unless they are brand new incredibly weak players there is no reason too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2019
In this area (NC) only pgf goes from sept- august. Every other tournament org is calendar year.

but I agree a team of all 06s can probably move up. We are all 07, so we will dabble in 16U in the fall next year. But honestly, as players start to drop out, I expect just to make the jump to 18U. Fields in 16U are pretty sparse. Once they get to HS is all the same.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
In this area (NC) only pgf goes from sept- august. Every other tournament org is calendar year.

but I agree a team of all 06s can probably move up. We are all 07, so we will dabble in 16U in the fall next year. But honestly, as players start to drop out, I expect just to make the jump to 18U. Fields in 16U are pretty sparse. Once they get to HS is all the same.
If that is what you see in NC I would guess that wouldn’t be the norm. Around this area everybody moves up in the Fall.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2