Top 5 Most Annoying - Parents that don't know the rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
How did he actually do this? Just tell the parent to leave the field? I had a parent tick an ump off in the first inning and he almost called the game due to it. I did not hear who did it, but he actually was able to point her out.

thanks.

He was coaching third base, called time, pointed to the dad (called him by name) and told him to go to his car. He was wanting my husband to appeal every single ball. His language started to decline, so my husband made the call (fully knowing he could lose the player). He also knew that the umpires would back him up. I felt bad for the man's son, but it certainly sent a clear message that unsportsmanlike conduct would not be tolerated from the athletes or parents. The dad was very apologetic after the game. There were other incidents with the same parent in subsequent games that did lead to a parting of ways. My husband says he would do the same thing, the same way, if he had to...no regrets.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Didn't consider the OTHER way it could hit the plate and go through the strike zone...if the pitcher threw with a 60-70 foot arch and it dropped through the strike zone, it would satisfy this equation.

It doesn't make any difference. If the batter did not attempt to hit the pitch, by rule, a pitched ball that hits the plate MUST be ruled a ball. Don't care how it got there or the path it took through the strike zone or not, it is a ball.

This is true in all sanctions of which I am aware.

I may be mistaken (happens rather frequently, as my kids point out to me), but isn't there some kind of rule about the height of the arc in fastpitch? I know it probably doesn't get called at the lower levels, but I thought I read it somewhere. I would love to have an older pitcher that could throw a drop ball (with any speed) that was at the knees at the front of the plate, yet still hit the plate. Heck, a pitch that hits the plate in Slow Pitch is automatically a ball, for that matter.

When you make a big deal out of pitchers leaping, replanting, etc., you are telling your kids the other team has an advantage over you. If she throws it over the plate, your kids have a chance to hit it.

So, what if the pitcher starts back near second base and does a running pitch, and the ump doesn't call anything? If it's over the plate, you can still hit it, right? Isn't an illegal pitch an illegal pitch? I agree, don't make a big deal about it, but a coach shouldn't have to point out things like in the pic posted here.

On a side note, we were playing in a pretty big tournament last summer (14U), and my DD was pitching our 2nd or third game of the day, in the afternoon, after the umps had seen several games. She told me she overheard the umps talking to each other while she was warming up, and one of them said "that's the first girl that I've seen all day pitching legal". Usually, ime, they wait until either the first strike, or the first strike with a runner on, and call the IP one time, and then let it go, even when the pitcher doesn't change a thing.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
No, there isn't a height restriction in any FP game, your kids were right....again.

Don't know why people keep bringing this up since there is only one way to interpret a pitch hitting the plate is a ball unless the batter attempts to hit it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck