Top 5 Most Annoying - Parents that don't know the rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2010
I have been coaching softball for more years than I care to admit and have yet to overcome the frustration of parents (both my own and the other teams) who feel just because they BELIEVE a rule is true then it must be and they must comment/challenge/get in your face/be annoying from the sidelines. Here is my list of top 5 rules parents misunderstand all the time (for my own team I provide a handout at the start of the season that explain these and more common rules in detail):

1) "The Pitcher has the ball in the circle they can't run". Parents, there are exceptions learn them.
2) "The pitcher is leaping". Yes but...If a hole has been created, the pivot foot may drag no higher than the level plane of the ground. Make sure you know this before you start screaming "SHE IS LEAPING" from the sidelines.
3) "She left the base early". Cheat sheet to little league parents : softball = when ball leaves pitcher hand not crosses plate.
4) "The ball hit the plate it can't be a strike". Parents: a ball that enters a players strike zone at any time while crossing over the plate can be called a strike even if it hits the plate. I said CAN because umps are finicky people and sometimes don't call what looks like an obvious strike.
5) "How could that not be a strike". Technically not a rule but frustrating nonetheless. Calling balls and strikes when seated along the foul lines doesn't give you inside/outside perception. MOVE YOUR CHAIR!!! Just because it looks like a perfect waist high pitch it isn't when it is a foot off the plate.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
These are the same parents whose job it is to help the umpire with his ball/strike calls.
It is obvious to the entire bleacher brigade that every parent has a better view than the plate umpire.
Thankfully, these proud, dignified parents are the vocal leaders of helping make the call from outside the fence. :)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
[/QUOTE]4) "The ball hit the plate it can't be a strike". Parents: a ball that enters a players strike zone at any time while crossing over the plate can be called a strike even if it hits the plate. I said CAN because umps are finicky people and sometimes don't call what looks like an obvious strike.
Only time I have a problem with this one is when the ball hits the very FRONT of the plate. Seen it called a few times last year. :)

Dec 4, 2009
Buffalo, NY
The parents are right on number 4. I f the ball hits the plate, it is call a ball. ASA Rule 7 Batting Section 5. A BALL IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE.
A. (Fast Pitch) For each legally pitched ball that does not enter the strike zone,
touches the ground before reaching home plate, or touches home plate, and
the batter does not swing.
EFFECT: The ball is live and runners are entitled to advance with liability to
be put out.

Mar 1, 2010
The parents are right on number 4. I f the ball hits the plate, it is call a ball. ASA Rule 7 Batting Section 5. A BALL IS CALLED BY THE UMPIRE.
A. (Fast Pitch) For each legally pitched ball that does not enter the strike zone,
touches the ground before reaching home plate, or touches home plate, and
the batter does not swing.
EFFECT: The ball is live and runners are entitled to advance with liability to
be put out.

This rule is confusing. The important part of the rule is the part that addreses does not enter the strike zone. Once a pitch enters the strike zone this rule does not apply and the ball CAN hit the plate. You can verify this with your umpires. This rule confused me for awhile until an ump explained that the strike rule takes precedent over this rule.

Jan 13, 2010
I've always said the person with the best view of the strike zone is the pitchers parent(s) sitting in the bleachers :)

Jul 3, 2009
I've always said the person with the best view of the strike zone is the pitchers parent(s) sitting in the bleachers :)

Part of the fun of watching the game is telling the ump how blind they are...come on man, don't try to ruin the fun for me. I've got a buddy that calls ASA and I make a point to sit behind the backstop and trash talk him. Of course, I only do it during the other teams games, not during ours. And hey, as long as ole' Blue is callin 'em the RIGHT way, I keep my mouth shut :)

Jul 3, 2009
I have been coaching softball for more years than I care to admit and have yet to overcome the frustration of parents (both my own and the other teams) who feel just because they BELIEVE a rule is true then it must be and they must comment/challenge/get in your face/be annoying from the sidelines. Here is my list of top 5 rules parents misunderstand all the time (for my own team I provide a handout at the start of the season that explain these and more common rules in detail):

2) "The pitcher is leaping". Yes but...If a hole has been created, the pivot foot may drag no higher than the level plane of the ground. Make sure you know this before you start screaming "SHE IS LEAPING" from the sidelines.

Since when does knowing the rules and yelling them at the ump make a difference? Heck, even when it IS a leap they won't call it...is this above the plane?
4090168735_766f30cf4e_o.jpg

They wouldn't call it. Said they didn't see a problem :-0

Also, on the ball touching the plate thing...how would it hit the plate at any point and be in anyone's strike zone? Seems that the batter would have to be around 18" tall for that to work out, unless the pitcher had an ultra-super amazing kryptonite infused drop ball. From 40'-0 away the pitch would have to around 2" above the front of the plate to hit the back of the plate without outside interference, wouldn't it? Just asking...

Jul 3, 2009
Didn't consider the OTHER way it could hit the plate and go through the strike zone...if the pitcher threw with a 60-70 foot arch and it dropped through the strike zone, it would satisfy this equation.

Jan 13, 2010
WRT the pic of the pitcher in the air..generally I won't say anything to the blues about an illegal pitcher unless I feel she is gaining an advantage as a result of the illegal pitch..this kid cannot be gaining an advantage by having her pivot foot airborne..she's getting no push!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812