Top 5 Most Annoying - Parents that don't know the rules

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
I am not a coach...I am a pitcher's mom. My husband coaches. I have watched my husband call time from coaching third base amd eject one of his parents for badgering an official. The umpires stood stunned. We could never understand how parent's could logically believe it can benefit the team in any way. Umpires are humans often making calls in split second timing. There are many unqualified umpires who aren't in the right position to make the call, cannot define the strike zone, and I have even come across umpires that do not know the rules. I suppose I have always looked at the game from the perspective that bad calls go both ways...maybe not in this game, maybe not this season, but in the big picture. Badgering an umpire is a poor example for the athletes and creates a bad reputation for the team. Umpires remember...

Jan 28, 2010
I am not a coach...I am a pitcher's mom. My husband coaches. I have watched my husband call time from coaching third base amd eject one of his parents for badgering an official. The umpires stood stunned. We could never understand how parent's could logically believe it can benefit the team in any way. Umpires are humans often making calls in split second timing. There are many unqualified umpires who aren't in the right position to make the call, cannot define the strike zone, and I have even come across umpires that do not know the rules. I suppose I have always looked at the game from the perspective that bad calls go both ways...maybe not in this game, maybe not this season, but in the big picture. Badgering an umpire is a poor example for the athletes and creates a bad reputation for the team. Umpires remember...

How did he actually do this? Just tell the parent to leave the field? I had a parent tick an ump off in the first inning and he almost called the game due to it. I did not hear who did it, but he actually was able to point her out.

thanks.

Feb 9, 2009
Yes, tell the parent to leave the field. And if they don't, tell them you will take their kid out of the game. If they still don't leave, take their kid out of the game, have her pack her gear, and have her exit the dugout. After that, it's the ump's call.
But it's best to tell the parents BEFORE the season starts that this is exactly what you will do if there is EVER an issue regarding bad behavior from the stands... Parents are a lot like the girls...if they know the expectations, they comply. usually....

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Not uncommon to have to tell parents to tone it down a bit. It can reflect badly on a team. I do sympathize with umps, they do the best they can, but sometimes they will do a horrible job. Umpiring well is a middle aged mans endeavour, they need enough experience to be good, but not old enough that their mobility is a problem for getting in position to make calls. Way too many old umps out there. They do it because they enjoy it, but sometimes they do a disservice too.

Back to original topic, when you hear confused parents, just politely walk over in between innings and explain. Watched a HS game yesterday where girl tried to run to 1B on a dropped 3rd strike, but 1B was occupied. She was "safe" but was called out. The parents were told by another parent that the batter was out because the other girl on 1B left too soon. None knew any better. Incredible. Please, share knowledge when you can.

Jul 28, 2008
The second baseman doesn't look down and ready. Or maybe the pitcher is just that good?

That's the new ready position. Don't you teach that? I once had my DD use that position after I yelled out to her to move her position over. The real bad thing was that I couldn't pull her from the game. LL Allstars and I had already used my subs.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Yes, tell the parent to leave the field. And if they don't, tell them you will take their kid out of the game. If they still don't leave, take their kid out of the game, have her pack her gear, and have her exit the dugout. After that, it's the ump's call.
But it's best to tell the parents BEFORE the season starts that this is exactly what you will do if there is EVER an issue regarding bad behavior from the stands... Parents are a lot like the girls...if they know the expectations, they comply. usually....

I tell the parents at the beginning that, they will be reminded once then banned to the outfield. If there is still a problem I ask to leave and finally they and their child will be asked to leave the team. That also goes for coaching from the stands too.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I tell the parents at the beginning that, they will be reminded once then banned to the outfield. If there is still a problem I ask to leave and finally they and their child will be asked to leave the team. That also goes for coaching from the stands too.

Yes the coaching from the stands.... Hate the pitchers dad calling the pitches from behind the fence...when I'm calling them from the dugout.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I am trying very hard to come up with my "top 5 annoying parents", the list is just too long! And NONE of them know the rules!

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
A. (Fast Pitch) For each legally pitched ball that does not enter the strike zone,
touches the ground before reaching home plate, or touches home plate, and
the batter does not swing.
EFFECT: The ball is live and runners are entitled to advance with liability to
be put out.

Fpdad5, The person who tried to sell you on this had it wrong. Your argument that entering the strike zone negates the touches home plate rule ignores the key word "or". For those of you who can't imagine a pitch entering the strike zone AND hitting the plate imagine a 10U change up with a 8 ft arc.

I must be missing something -- the rule looks pretty clear -- there are three ways that a pitch can be called a ball:

(1) it doesn't pass through the strike zone
(2) it hits the ground before it reaches home plate
(3) it touches home plate

AND the batter doesn't swing.

Based on basic grammar, the sentence contains three completely INDEPENDENT ways for a pitch to be called a ball.

Think about it -- there's no reason for this rule to be in the book if it was possible/legal to throw a some high arcing pitch that passed through the strike zone and then hit the plate and have it called a strike. You could have a killer, physics-defying drop ball that comes across at the knees and then drops ten inches and hits the plate, and it will be a ball all day long if the batter doesn't swing. As a matter of fact, this rule specifically makes that killer drop ball a ball, not a strike. It also makes it impossible for you to throw the ball at the ground and have it bounce across the plate in the strike zone and have it be called a ball.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2009
Since when does knowing the rules and yelling them at the ump make a difference? Heck, even when it IS a leap they won't call it...is this above the plane?
4090168735_766f30cf4e_o.jpg

They wouldn't call it. Said they didn't see a problem :-0

Also, on the ball touching the plate thing...how would it hit the plate at any point and be in anyone's strike zone? Seems that the batter would have to be around 18" tall for that to work out, unless the pitcher had an ultra-super amazing kryptonite infused drop ball. From 40'-0 away the pitch would have to around 2" above the front of the plate to hit the back of the plate without outside interference, wouldn't it? Just asking...
When you make a big deal out of pitchers leaping, replanting, etc., you are telling your kids the other team has an advantage over you. If she throws it over the plate, your kids have a chance to hit it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32