Too many or Too few??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2010
I don't understand how going back to rec ball is going to allow a player to improve quicker than staying in travel ball.

Besides, if a kid is playing in travel ball, I assume she wants to play travel ball. Why would this girl choose to go back to rec?

I agree! My daughter's skills improved much more playing B level travel ball through the 10U, 12U and 1st year 14U than they would have had she stayed in rec. As I've said before, there were girls on her 8U grade school rec team whose skills were equivalent to hers. They were nice kids, not lazy or surly, etc., and at the time anyway, were bigger and stronger than DD. When they reached HS, those girls ended up on the HS C team; DD started on varsity. She enjoyed hanging out with them, but she's head and shoulders more skilled at softball.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
That makes sence. I wasn't figuring "local" as in the same town or factoring in scholarships. We are not at the scholarship factoring stage yet. Still our in town college tution alone is more than $5k per year. Maybe my DD can come live with you? lol

LOL! Sure :). I think the total cost for full price is like $6000 a year. That's the cost of some travel teams (rumored). We also have 16U C travel teams in the area that charge $2K and they play like 5 non showcase events every year. So the cost of college is cheaper for me than TB.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
LOL! Sure :). I think the total cost for full price is like $6000 a year. That's the cost of some travel teams (rumored). We also have 16U C travel teams in the area that charge $2K and they play like 5 non showcase events every year. So the cost of college is cheaper for me than TB.

That's absurd. My showcase team is less than $1000 a year for 9-10 showcases, uniforms, insurance etc. Most the girls have private sponsors to boot so they pay nothing. The money people try to make off these kids dreams sickens me. And then your C!!! C!!! People should run that org out of business for ripping people off.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
That's absurd. My showcase team is less than $1000 a year for 9-10 showcases, uniforms, insurance etc. Most the girls have private sponsors to boot so they pay nothing. The money people try to make off these kids dreams sickens me. And then your C!!! C!!! People should run that org out of business for ripping people off.

Right! I just found the price out for this org last night from a parent that knows some girls there. $2K because of the name of the org. Problem is there top team isn't even their 18U team it's their 1st year 14U team. Guess we know where the money's going. They have 3-4 teams per age group and charge the 10U the same price. Atleast they haven't started the $500 non refundable tryout fee like some orgs around me have done. Mind you we don't have many top orgs within 100 miles of me.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

We pay @ $1500/year in team fees, which is pretty reasonable when broken down. It includes uniforms (including spikes), softballs/equipment, indoor space rental, outdoor field space, and tournament entry fees. From a family expense standpoint, the cost of traveling to overnight tournaments - gas/food/lodging - are going to far outweigh the team fees if you play more than 2-3 overnight tournaments.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I remember seeing the tryout fee!! What a joke trying to profit and/or eliminate girls from trying out. Its an elitist mentality that turns people off and ruins your brand. In the days of social media its too easy to spread work nationally and share information.

The old business model of misinformation and charging just to use a name is dieing more everyday as people realize they are being ripped off. Its too easy to look up actual costs these days and compare to what you are paying. Its too easy to market your own brand too.

And in the end its the relationships you make that helps the girls achieve their dreams. College coaches will tell you their are good coaches and bad coaches within ALL brands so while one name may get your foot in the door its the quality of the player and coach that ultimately matter.

Couple that with this-if you pay for that big name and one player or one coach does something to ruin that names reputation what are you paying for? It happens everyday on both sides of the fence (travel and college)

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Ok lets put it this way...I have counted at least 20 Travel teams combined in Suffolk and Nassau County on Long Island...Say each organization has one team from 10U to 18U of 14 girls. That's 70 girls per ORGANIZATION x 20 teams =1400 girls!! Some have more than one team at each level! are there realistically 1400 or more girls that are travel ball skill wise?? And I know there are more than 20 teams on Long Island and some have 10U..11U and so on so realistically I can say over 1800 to 2000 girls

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Coming from SoCal, the recruiting mecca, college money IS what it is about by 14U.
If it is not, I don't see the point of playing travel ball unless playing in college is the ultimate goal. It is just too darn expensive and time consuming. Play in your town rec league with your friends if college is not the goal. It is just a game after all.

Maybe, maybe not. My 12U DD's short-tern goal is to play Varsity as a freshman in HS. She is uncertain whether or not she wants to play in college, but its highly unlikely she plays Varsity as a freshman (or even sophomore) without having the travel ball experience. While the high school she will attend is not an elite program, it still is very competitive and very few if any rec only players make the team.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Ok lets put it this way...I have counted at least 20 Travel teams combined in Suffolk and Nassau County on Long Island...Say each organization has one team from 10U to 18U of 14 girls. That's 70 girls per ORGANIZATION x 20 teams =1400 girls!! Some have more than one team at each level! are there realistically 1400 or more girls that are travel ball skill wise?? And I know there are more than 20 teams on Long Island and some have 10U..11U and so on so realistically I can say over 1800 to 2000 girls

What are the repercussions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom