Timed games--Play more innings!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
are you telling me that high schools where you live have two softball fields? A V and a JV field? That's nice!

A lot of people assume their nice things (there's a p-word that could be used here, but I've been chastised for bringing it up before) are universal, and it motivates their thinking in some unfortunate ways.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
Freshman team? Never heard of that. In Texas I am only aware of JV and Varsity teams. Texas ppl speak up if I am wrong. I have heard of 2 JV squads if they have lots of players with talent.

In years past, the HS (in TX) my daughter will attend had V, JV, and Fr teams, however, new V HC this year has V, and 2 JV instead. We also have V and JV fields.

17E78904-77FA-4C70-99FA-A99700A40B6E.jpeg

Aug 25, 2019
In years past, the HS (in TX) my daughter will attend had V, JV, and Fr teams, however, new V HC this year has V, and 2 JV instead. We also have V and JV fields.

View attachment 21385
That's your high school fields?.......At our school we have one ok softball field for Varsity and JV, but JV practices on a crummy rec field. And you'd be shocked what we pay in school taxes here in NY.............

Nov 8, 2020
I have to ask - Non-Athletic Regular People?
Non Athlete Regular Person. They may still be athletic but aren't on the school teams. We try to ween our kids off of NARP friends around 7th grade. NARPs don't have anything to lose, they're not as focused on their class work and don't have the same priorities as our kids so our kids were taught to steer clear of them

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Nov 8, 2020

View attachment 21385
While not a fan of all that rug, those are some legit HS fields. I wish the schools here had lights on their baseball and softball fields.
They have carpeted football fields but that's because they use the football stadiums for lacrosse and pitch diving and all of those games year round on grass fields would leave them trashed

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sep 5, 2012
I'm a long time umpire & I will say this:

On timed games, the number of innings is directly related to quality of play. If you've only played 2 innings of a JV game in an hour for a game that only has 15 minutes left & there's a Varsity game that's scheduled to begin immediately behind it, I don't blame the umps for stopping the game at that point.

If you want your players to get more innings in, that's what practice is for! They also have a varsity team that they can literally scrimmage against at will!

The rulebook states 1 minute between innings & that minute starts immediately at the call of the 3rd out. Totally impractical at the rec & low high school level. If an umpire starts issuing the appropriate penalties, it opens up a whole can of worms! if you want games to move more smoothly, that starts with the coaches & the players. Are the C/P replaced on the bases with 2 outs so that they can get ready for the next inning? They should be the 1st players on the field for the next inning.

You know what moves games along? Strikes & Outs! If a defensive team is having issues with either of these, it makes for long innings.

Dec 21, 2018
[Very interesting this intervention on the articulation of traditional game. In my opinion could be a solution to play more, more games, in less time, and make baseball more attractive in those countries, like my Italy where it is losing an audience. But I think you need it too. I have done various experiments. The most interesting, in my opinion, is playing 3inning with 7 outs per inning for a total of 21 out. For very juvenile categories, limit the number of pitches per batter to 3 pitches. Then for the older ones, use the traditional count. Sorry for my English but I think the concept is clear="Orange Socks, post: 607859, member: 10052"]

So DD2 plays on JV and their games are timed to end at about 1hr 15min and Varsity takes the field 15 minutes later. It's basically 12U rec ball for most teams. The first game they only got 2 innings but the umps stopped play at 1 hour. Score does not matter, and they do 5 run limits per half inning. The last several games they only played 3 innings. Why can't we play more innings to get the girls more reps??? Here's where I get all twisted, and I'm sure the parents and the coaches don't understand why I get all wrapped around the axle on this. I started monitoring how long it takes for the players to switch sides and do their warm ups. It was taking at least 2-3 minutes. There was a lineup change in between innings that added 2-3 more minutes for the ump to talk to both coaches. Blue!!! This is a timed game, can we play ball already!!!! I was already irritated with these umps with obviously bad calls.

I figured they wasted about 18 minutes of time during the game. There is no sense of urgency with the coaches or umps. Back in 10U rec ball days we had an umpire (George) that was an acquired taste, but he was pretty good. He would tell us to get our players on the field quickly. He says it's your money, wouldn't you want to play as many innings as you could? So my DD isn't in the starting lineup so she basically gets to play one inning in the field and max 1 AB a game. So yes. I would like for my DD to get more playing experience but the other players as well. I'm gonna email the coach and let her know what I think! She likes me for the most part. Except when I emailed her after my DD was snubbed for all team awards for 4 years even though she was 1st Team All District for 3 years, lead the team in every category for all 4 years. And gave the Defensive MVP to the very same player who was awarded Most Improved Player. I already posted that.

I believe there are rules in place already to speed up the inning transition somewhere. DD1 played her full 7 inning college games in a 1 hr 30min.
[/QUOTE]

Dec 21, 2018
So DD2 plays on JV and their games are timed to end at about 1hr 15min and Varsity takes the field 15 minutes later. It's basically 12U rec ball for most teams. The first game they only got 2 innings but the umps stopped play at 1 hour. Score does not matter, and they do 5 run limits per half inning. The last several games they only played 3 innings. Why can't we play more innings to get the girls more reps??? Here's where I get all twisted, and I'm sure the parents and the coaches don't understand why I get all wrapped around the axle on this. I started monitoring how long it takes for the players to switch sides and do their warm ups. It was taking at least 2-3 minutes. There was a lineup change in between innings that added 2-3 more minutes for the ump to talk to both coaches. Blue!!! This is a timed game, can we play ball already!!!! I was already irritated with these umps with obviously bad calls.

I figured they wasted about 18 minutes of time during the game. There is no sense of urgency with the coaches or umps. Back in 10U rec ball days we had an umpire (George) that was an acquired taste, but he was pretty good. He would tell us to get our players on the field quickly. He says it's your money, wouldn't you want to play as many innings as you could? So my DD isn't in the starting lineup so she basically gets to play one inning in the field and max 1 AB a game. So yes. I would like for my DD to get more playing experience but the other players as well. I'm gonna email the coach and let her know what I think! She likes me for the most part. Except when I emailed her after my DD was snubbed for all team awards for 4 years even though she was 1st Team All District for 3 years, lead the team in every category for all 4 years. And gave the Defensive MVP to the very same player who was awarded Most Improved Player. I already posted that.

I believe there are rules in place already to speed up the inning transition somewhere. DD1 played her full 7 inning college games in a 1 hr 30min.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00