Timed games--Play more innings!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
I would guess it isn't the umpire at fault (though it could be) for not hustling the girls in and out between innings. Last time I checked we aren't paid by the hour :rolleyes:. In all honesty though, most umpires want a fast-paced game. Hustle in hustle out, get the ball back right away, 5 pitches and let's go. Coaches have much more to do with pace of play than umpires do. How many times do you see the P or C get on-base, then the coach needs to decide IF they are going to use a CR, who is going to be the CR, get THAT girl's attention, then she needs to find her (cap, visor, running gloves) then wanders out to the bag like a tourist at the Louvre.

Or, the coach who calls pitches from the dug-out EVERY pitch but has to decide what pitch first, then look it up on the super-secret-squirrel chart, (oops I used that combination 3 innings ago, have to find another one), relay it to the C and the P , THEY have to look it up..... I am biased as an old catcher who called my own games 90% of the time, but there is LOTS of places to speed up the game other than putting it on the umpres.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Well thats a little exaggerated. But umps striking up small talk with a parent or coach and are oblivious to the fact that the pitcher has thrown 6 or 7 pitches drives me up a wall.

I do agree with this sort of unprofessional behavior being aggravating, however. My fellow umpires. we are there to do a job, do it. Varsity/JV/Frosh/11u/D1 doesn't matter, they get our best EVERY pitch, EVERY game, EVERY day. Doesn't matter if it is the biggest rivalry in the county, the state or national final or a scrimmage/friendly between Podunk High and Doh! Tech.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I don't know of any schools that have "JV fields" in Texas, maybe a practice area. Our District allows for 2 softball coaches for the program. Varsity HC is usually doing the book at 1B while the JV coach who has no clue is coaching at 3B during JV games. When we play neighboring districts they have 3 coaches...must be nice. They also have 13 High Schools in the district and keep expanding.

Apr 1, 2017
I don't know of any schools that have "JV fields" in Texas, maybe a practice area. Our District allows for 2 softball coaches for the program. Varsity HC is usually doing the book at 1B while the JV coach who has no clue is coaching at 3B during JV games. When we play neighboring districts they have 3 coaches...must be nice. They also have 13 High Schools in the district and keep expanding.
We don't have a "JV" field, but that's why V and JV play mirrored schedules. Our school does have a "freshman" field, but it's a very basic field at the same school as the varsity field.

With only 2 coaches, do you not have a freshman team? I'm not sure about all the teams in our area, but our school has 4 coaches. They are officially listed as head coach and 3 assistants, but typical breakdown is 2 for varsity, 1 JV, 1 freshman.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's old high school does not have a JV field. Varsity games typically started at 4:30pm. JV games started 15 minutes after the end of the varsity games and played until the umpire or coaches would call the game due to darkness. Both games were typically played on the same day for transportation purposes. Typically the varsity and JV teams can ride together on one bus. When DD was playing, the entire roster typically had between 14 and 18 players depending on the year. Some years we have a few players that played for both teams (typically freshmen).

Apr 20, 2015
Wow...it didn't occur to me that we have anything special. We have separate staffs for JV and Varsity. 4 coaches on Varsity and 2 JV. A Varsity field and a JV field at home. Some schools in our area have only 1 and then the JV will play after the Varsity so they do get hosed if the field doesn't have lights.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2014
Wow...it didn't occur to me that we have anything special. We have separate staffs for JV and Varsity. 4 coaches on Varsity and 2 JV. A Varsity field and a JV field at home. Some schools in our area have only 1 and then the JV will play after the Varsity so they do get hosed if the field doesn't have lights.

Yes you definitely do have something special with 4 coaches and 2 fields. Very nice.

Our national team pitchers frequently only throw 1 warm up between innings.

Yep................ But that doesn't make it right. They are 16-18 years old. Using their actions as proof of correctness? We all know where that leads. I'm certain none have graduated medical school like the orthopedic that says warm up pitches are important.

BTW My DD tries to do that sometimes as well. I have trained her to take the warmups given, even if it is at 75% effort.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We don't have a "JV" field, but that's why V and JV play mirrored schedules. Our school does have a "freshman" field, but it's a very basic field at the same school as the varsity field.

With only 2 coaches, do you not have a freshman team? I'm not sure about all the teams in our area, but our school has 4 coaches. They are officially listed as head coach and 3 assistants, but typical breakdown is 2 for varsity, 1 JV, 1 freshman.
Freshman team? Never heard of that. In Texas I am only aware of JV and Varsity teams. Texas ppl speak up if I am wrong. I have heard of 2 JV squads if they have lots of players with talent.

Nov 8, 2020
Here the games start at 3, JV on the JV field and Varsity on the Varsity field. The frosh team plays on weekends on the JV field. You're pulling in to the school parking lot, to watch the games, as the NARPs are heading home and you're lucky to see the first pitch as some schools won't allow non students on to the campus until 3 pm.

When my son was in 9th grade the freshman baseball team would travel with the freshman softball team and they would play the same schools the Varsity/JV were playing but at the opposite location. Then sometime in the last 10 years the schools made the freshman team the "frosh" team and made it for 9th and 10th graders and they de-funded the school busses from taking those teams to away games so their games were moved to weekends so parents could drive them.

Don't think I could imagine having the games rushed through in 90 mins so they could get to the Varsity game. Is it because the field doesn't have lights? Maybe just have the Varsity play at home and the JV play on the road and then vice versa?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00