Throwing Mechanics and Baseball Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
This happen to my daughter this year, she pitched every game and the coach would not let her throw over hand much due to the coach thinking she may injure her arm. She made a couple overhand throwing errors and then she got it in her head she could not throw over hand. She can throw a ball from the center field fence to third on a line drive, but can’t throw from pitcher’s mound to first.

Season is over know, and we’re working on correction the problem. It’s just in her head she can’t throw over hand accurate.

Jun 16, 2010
Like this? DD @ 10, she pitched in 12U boys baseball. By 12 she was pitching in 14U.

Softball is about speed. In the IF, getting rid of ball quickly is as or more important than a faster throw.
Baseball throwing is done with a slow roundabout wind up because you have more time. This is a hard habit to break . That is what we call in softball an OUTFIELD throw, which is different from an INFIELD throw.

I dont know if it did any good, but she has a very good arm for a girl, especially from the OF where she can take advantage of it fully. When she was 13, her arm was better than mine. She can also throw a football farther than most boys her age, peoples jaw just drops when she does that at her brothers practices.

DD10-1.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
My daughter is an outfielder, will never be an infielder, soooooo.....the harder she can throw the better.

I am starting to think this might be a good way to go.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
IMO you can't go wrong with Hodge's info. I also think using a baseball pitcher to teach her is a great idea. Hodge recommends using one of those footballs with fins on one end.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Like this? DD @ 10, she pitched in 12U boys baseball. By 12 she was pitching in 14U.

Softball is about speed. In the IF, getting rid of ball quickly is as or more important than a faster throw.
Baseball throwing is done with a slow roundabout wind up because you have more time. This is a hard habit to break . That is what we call in softball an OUTFIELD throw, which is different from an INFIELD throw.

I dont know if it did any good, but she has a very good arm for a girl, especially from the OF where she can take advantage of it fully. When she was 13, her arm was better than mine. She can also throw a football farther than most boys her age, peoples jaw just drops when she does that at her brothers practices.

DD10-1.jpg

This is awesome. Can she come teach my daughter how to do that?;)

Jun 16, 2010
This is awesome. Can she come teach my daughter how to do that?;)

I really dont think its something you can teach . It always came totally natural to her. Maybe she just has a good arm, maybe technique has something to do with it, and maybe the baseball thing did too. No way to say.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles