Throwing Faster

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
Another update on this pitcher.
This team she plays on is a first yr 10U team --all 9yr olds. elite team.
She had another outing this weekend and the coach proceeded to scream at her, call her names and came right out and told her that he expected strikes out of every pitch she threw and she had no business claiming to be a pitcher if she couldn't do that.
He also yelled at her for not covering home and her mother explained to her that this was her first time in 10U and she didn't know she was supposed to do this yet. He explained that is the pitching coaches job!
She also explained to him that she told him when she joined the team that she had never pitched in games before and to not expect perfection out of her. He then told her if she wasn't pitching strikes then she needs a new pitching coach---As she was telling me this I could see the......I have a PC that your DD needs to see.......He did tell her she had to $ for a hitting coach he advised but she explained she already had one.

I couldn't believe this coach was asking so much out of 9yr olds---around here, girls do not pitch until 10u.
I asked her "Do his other pitchers pitch strikes all the time?" She said "No, but their parents are friends and so they get left in longer".

She asked my advice, and I told her to run not walk off that team. There is a local league team she can play for and get experience before she needs to move on to elite play.

Man, these coaches truly amaze me!
NOTHING AMAZE'S ME ANYMORE !!!
coach told my 9yr old dd "i know you want to pitch? only if you knock in more runs, i'll let you pitch?" and when she did? he still did'nt put her in??? guess who the other pitcher was????

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
Wow, never really thought of my dd as elite. She would get a kick out of that. Not even sure if she knows what it means. come watch her 10u team, might change the idea of "Elite". Love 'em though.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm guessing she's young, like 10u or younger?

Here's my advice: To hell with having her pitch in games. Have her tell her coach she's done pitching. PRACTICE pitching for another year or so. Keep working on those mechanics and speed, and a year later, you can start working on accuracy and positions. When she's 12u, have her try out as a pitcher.

It's very rare that the "good" 10u pitchers are the "good" 12u pitchers. At 10u and younger and in rec ball they just want strikes. At 12u travel ball, they need to be able to pitch strike OUTS.

-W

Oct 22, 2009

Here's my advice: To hell with having her pitch in games. Have her tell her coach she's done pitching. PRACTICE pitching for another year or so. Keep working on those mechanics and speed, and a year later, you can start working on accuracy and positions. When she's 12u, have her try out as a pitcher.

It's very rare that the "good" 10u pitchers are the "good" 12u pitchers. At 10u and younger and in rec ball they just want strikes. At 12u travel ball, they need to be able to pitch strike OUTS.

-W

She's 9. That would be nice to have her pitch practice for another year, but no parent around here is going to do that.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She had another outing this weekend and the coach proceeded to scream at her, call her names and came right out and told her that he expected strikes out of every pitch she threw and she had no business claiming to be a pitcher if she couldn't do that.

DD would quit this Team so fast even if she wasn't the focus of the abuse.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010

oh, they have and answer for that too!!! when she did keep practicing and practicing and came back striking everyone out? their answer was "parents are complaining, she's too dominating"? like i said NOTHING amazes me ...

Oct 22, 2009
oh, they have and answer for that too!!! when she did keep practicing and practicing and came back striking everyone out? their answer was "parents are complaining, she's too dominating"? like i said NOTHING amazes me ...

That's when they say they can't pitch her because the catcher can't handle her.
Like the coach I have that wants my pitcher to learn another breaking pitch because his catcher can't handle her drop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC