Thinking of starting a travel team, need advice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
That's why I'd rather look at WHIP as a judgement of a pitcher's performance. Losing a game where 5 hit balls resulted in bases loaded with 2 outs and one defensive error on the next hit keeps the inning alive for 5 or more runs (none earned) isn't a complete picture. Their ERA may be low but WHIP tells a different story. I've heard countless times from a pitcher's Dad "If the SS didn't botch that one play we would have gotten out of the inning with no runs" That may be true and it's why ERA is one measure of a pitcher, but isn't it fair to ask "Did the SS walk the bases loaded prior to the error??" "Did the SS deliver that meatball that went to the fence in center later in the inning?" If your averaging 1K or less per inning and have a whip below 1.0 your a good finesse pitcher. You can average 2K's per inning but if to get there you have a whip higher than 2.0 your probably losing games.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Thanks for the input. Hmmm, I'm not a pitcher's dad and my kid gets to play every inning. We are interested in going in a different direction. More dedicated to improving than our current team but not as fanatic as some of the other teams in our area. If I could find a team around here that was closer to what we were looking for we'd try and join it. She has had offers to join some of those more dedicated teams but they want her year round and she still wants to play other sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207