Thinking before we type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
If you think about it, we see Jennie Finch and Monica Abbott and many other outstanding DIV I pitchers even today, we find flaws. That said, CoachFP makes a good point - what matters is whether they are successful. VERY few of the girls we work with or watch will ever be known as the best in the country, nonetheless, they are successful to a sufficient degree. EVERYBODY could be better at what they do, AND NO ONE is perfect, nor do they have just perfect mechanics.

here's my problem.... I video a pitcher, analyze it and pick out what we need to work on. I certainly wouldn't ever claim to be an expert. By the time you THINK you know what you are doing, we get new biomechanics and physics studies that teach us better ways to teach and mechanics that seemed to work for years are no longer are valid.

** I've either learned or decided NOT to be anal, that I don't need EVERY pitcher to have the same mechanics. What I try and do is correct areas of her mechanics that hurt her performance, BUT I have freinds that want to pick out flaws and suggest they do this and that, and yet I listen in amazement when I see my pitcher successful and improving.

Jul 14, 2008
........I believe there IS right and wrong. There is a reason why all the best do the same things, mechanically.......

BoardMember said:
IMHO.....there is OPTIMAL.....and SUB-OPTIMAL.......there is no "in between"......

There are many ways to "be" both.........

Obviously I agree with Hillhouse here.......;)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. A newbie daddy doesn't know the parts of the pitching motion are important and which aren't. So, he ends up focusing on easily identifiable stuff like "the leg slap" or "finishing with the fingers up".

Jul 14, 2008
You have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff. A newbie daddy doesn't know the parts of the pitching motion are important and which aren't. So, he ends up focusing on easily identifiable stuff like "the leg slap" or "finishing with the fingers up".

Good observation.........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck