There’s No Good Reason to Squeeze the Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
If that is the rule why is it crazy? Would be like saying I know the book says the line is fair but if it lands on the liune it sould be called foul.
Because armpits is a super high strike target that induces bad swings...as umpires are not robots and tend to call wider/taller zones overall. Bottom of sternum to knees is fair in my opinion.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The NCAA wants it that way. Homeruns and action are far more important to them than strikeouts. I have seen it firsthand when they are going through the umpire recruiting process at big tournaments. The zones are tighter, and the pitchers are having to adjust to it. It actually doesn't bother me as long as they are consistent!!! I do agree that many hitters leave the bat on their shoulder waiting to get ahead in the count as well. I can't tell you how many times I saw college hitters take first pitch strikes down the gut last year.
Watching a little Athletes Unlimited Pro Softball and wow what a tight zone. Pitchers shaking their head. But it makes for a higher scoring game.

Oct 26, 2019
The strike zone discussion makes me think about how the robo umpires MLB debuted in the minors kept having to be tweaked because no one wants it to be called the way the rule book is written.

For example, they adjusted the automated system to call it as it crossed the middle of the plate, as opposed to “any part of the plate” because the system was too good.

Another example - the strike zone is really a cube, but it gets called more round in reality.

May 13, 2021
Because armpits is a super high strike target that induces bad swings...as umpires are not robots and tend to call wider/taller zones overall. Bottom of sternum to knees is fair in my opinio

Because armpits is a super high strike target that induces bad swings...as umpires are not robots and tend to call wider/taller zones overall. Bottom of sternum to knees is fair in my opinion.
I think drop third strike rule is stupid, but I never see an umpire just not call it because he don't like it. That's why they make rules and put them in a book.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Expecting umpires in amateur sports to be perfect when even the seasoned veterans of MLB make bad calls is silly. I will admit that I prefer a larger strike zone, up and down, but maybe that's the pitcher Dad in me coming out.

Enjoy these bad calls...

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I think drop third strike rule is stupid, but I never see an umpire just not call it because he don't like it. That's why they make rules and put them in a book.
I'm just saying from an overall hitting perspective whether baseball or softball. I think armpits is absolutely insane to include that high into the strike zone, knowing as we all do that umpires usually expand zones more often than not... I understand whatever rules are set should be called by what rules are set, as I'm not arguing that. I'm stating it's wrong to think that the armpits should be at the top end of the strike zone... it's just super high and in no way should the zone be cranked up that high, just to potentially lower the scores of games.

Jun 19, 2016
I don't think anyone expects umpires to be perfect but the problem is some umpires feel it is "cool" to have a tight "college strike zone"....even if they are umpiring a 12U game. I have literally heard umpires say their zone is top of the knees to belt....ball fully over plate. If actual college umpires called the zone this way 40 runs would be scored every game.

They problem with these ridiculously tight zones is we ge young pitchers throwing 30% more pitches a game and batters leaving their bat on their shoulder waiting to either walk or.get a 3-2 meatball.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I don't think anyone expects umpires to be perfect but the problem is some umpires feel it is "cool" to have a tight "college strike zone"....even if they are umpiring a 12U game. I have literally heard umpires say their zone is top of the knees to belt....ball fully over plate. If actual college umpires called the zone this way 40 runs would be scored every game.

They problem with these ridiculously tight zones is we ge young pitchers throwing 30% more pitches a game and batters leaving their bat on their shoulder waiting to either walk or.get a 3-2 meatball.
Yah, that's not cool either!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Softball20242025