The Collision

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
My hitting experience is consistent with everything that I've read, which concludes there's no significant difference between baseball/bat and softball/bat collisions i.e., hand force has no bearing on impact. However, I don't know that testing has been done with the large drop bats (i.e., -12s and -13s where there isn't as much mass differential between the bat and softball) and slower bat speeds common to smaller, younger hitters. Still, although the collision equation might differ, I still don't think the hands would have a bearing on impact.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
The difference in mass between
Baseball bat: ball
and
Softball bat: ball
is the reason I teach bunting by holding the barrell of the bat, not by doing the baseball pinch behind it. DD recently had a "pseudo-coach" tell her to hold the bat differently with the thumb behind the barrel which promptly resulted in a sprained thumb.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My hitting experience is consistent with everything that I've read, which concludes there's no significant difference between baseball/bat and softball/bat collisions i.e., hand force has no bearing on impact. However, I don't know that testing has been done with the large drop bats (i.e., -12s and -13s where there isn't as much mass differential between the bat and softball) and slower bat speeds common to smaller, younger hitters. Still, although the collision equation might differ, I still don't think the hands would have a bearing on impact.

I appreciate your input.

It seems to me that the impact equation would vary SIGNIFICANTLY depending on pitching speeds and bat mass. A 23oz bat swung quickly against a 65mph pitch is going to be a very different equation than a 18oz bat swung slowly against a 35mph pitch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl