THAT coach is an......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Yep 😏 its a post about THAT coach...

The one people say they would never play for.
That person is a *bleep
A Yeller
Belittling
Arogant
Personality of a buffoon
What a *bleep
Add your own _______________

BUT GUESS WHAT even with their own reputation they've established for themselves...
People are willing to play for THAT coach.

Nope don't have to like it and regardless of anybody's opinion,
the people who go play for THAT coach,
Do launch to the top college programs!

Choices Choices Choices

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
from a Psychology Today article -
If you want to help athletes perform their best, you’ve got to help them feel their best. That doesn’t mean showering them with gratuitous praise, but they do need their coaches to respect them.
Those coaches under whom kids and adults perform their best are the ones they like being around, appreciate learning from, love playing for, and in whose company they feel valued. They’re not the coaches who demean them, thinking it will light fires under their butts. Being demeaned doesn’t make people more competitive; it just makes them angry, an unreliable motivator at best.
Besides, athletes at that level don’t need to be motivated; nobody trains or works that hard unless they really want to be there. They come already hungry, already wanting to win. They sacrifice physical comfort, time with loved ones, and hours and hours each day working toward a goal and don’t need to be impelled toward victory. Anyone who believes that belittling, ridiculing, or bullying is necessary for success knows little about sports performance and even less about human psychology.

Just saying...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yep 😏 its a post about THAT coach...

The one people say they would never play for.
That person is a *bleep
A Yeller
Belittling
Arogant
Personality of a buffoon
What a *bleep
Add your own _______________

BUT GUESS WHAT even with their own reputation they've established for themselves...
People are willing to play for THAT coach.

Nope don't have to like it and regardless of anybody's opinion,
the people who go play for THAT coach,
Do launch to the top college programs!

Choices Choices Choices
Why did you have to make a thread about me?:)

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
from a Psychology Today article -
If you want to help athletes perform their best, you’ve got to help them feel their best. That doesn’t mean showering them with gratuitous praise, but they do need their coaches to respect them.
Those coaches under whom kids and adults perform their best are the ones they like being around, appreciate learning from, love playing for, and in whose company they feel valued. They’re not the coaches who demean them, thinking it will light fires under their butts. Being demeaned doesn’t make people more competitive; it just makes them angry, an unreliable motivator at best.
Besides, athletes at that level don’t need to be motivated; nobody trains or works that hard unless they really want to be there. They come already hungry, already wanting to win. They sacrifice physical comfort, time with loved ones, and hours and hours each day working toward a goal and don’t need to be impelled toward victory. Anyone who believes that belittling, ridiculing, or bullying is necessary for success knows little about sports performance and even less about human psychology.

Just saying...
Can appreciate that being added to the post!

Now where's the article that explains why people gravitate towards THAT coach situations?
And how come THAT coach situation is successful?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
On a serious note, I've posted here several times that I view coaches in two categories. Coaches are either mentors or tormentors. I am known as a tough coach. I am also pretty popular with those who have played for me. Coaches can destroy a player's love of the game or they can enrich it. Personally, I have had the good luck to have had some great coaches in my life. I had one tormentor and I have little respect for him. I have had a lot of mentors and point to the guy who gave me my first HS coaching opportunity in baseball. That allowed me to have a great foundation for coaching multiple sports. I am getting too long in this response. I'll wrap up by saying that for those coaches out there, someday you will come across those players you are currently coaching. I hope that when you do and when they are adults you will get to enjoy the friendships you laid the foundation of when you coached them.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
When I come across a blatant version of "that" coach, I do not view them as a coach and I will not address them as "coach." Like any other titled individual such as Doctor, Professor, Realtor, Pastor, etc., the moniker of coach comes with its own expectations of game knowledge, interpersonal skills, devotion to the players, respect of the game, and standards of behavior (among others). If someone willfully and carelessly disregards these principles, I do not consider them a coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htvfastpitch