Opportunities to play with older/better teams.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
(Let me start by saying do not think softball is an age bracket rather it is talent levels. )

To start this topic
will share when I got to play on a women's team when I was 14. (freshman)
Westminster Renegades coached by Clementine Rork. All other players were 22 or older.
At that time there was a winter season I got to play with them. It was League games double headers.

What I remember from that experience was seeing the confidence of the players on the field around me. I got to recognize when they went to do something there was no hesitation. They threw the ball harder than me. They knew how to push themselves very hard. They were resilient and had determination that I aspired to be a part of.

Can recall the coach put me at first base.
I asked why? I'm a catcher.
She said you do not throw the ball hard enough.
... 😁So my personality kicked in.
Remember on two occasions with Runners on first and second,
I got grounders at me towards first and I fired them to 3rd to get the out. Each time getting the lead out. After the second time,
When I came into the dugout Coach Clementine looked at me and said
'You have shown me not to underestimate talent.'

And I said to her
'You have given me the opportunity to be around talent. It helped.
Thank you.'
( those were the only games I ever played first base 🙂)

If you get the opportunity to play/participate in upper level of softball
Take it!
Great life experience!

If anything just for the weekend to experience.
What it's like to be part of something you otherwise wouldn't be able to manufacture on your own team.

How about DFP Got Stories?!!
GO SOFTBALL 👍🥳

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I consider it talent levels, not age levels.

DD has a December birthday. She typically moved up to the next level before many of her friends that had January, February, or March birthdays. When she was younger, we were not thrilled about this. But as she progressed we realized that it was actually an advantage, not a disadvantage. By the time her friends moved up, she already had a full year at that talent level. There was a clear difference between her being a 2nd year 12u compared to her classmates playing 1st year 12u, even though they were only 1 or 2 months different in age. She was very clearly more comfortable with the speed of the game and the talent of the other teams.

The first TB organization she played for had 1 team at each age level; 12u, 14u, 16u, and 18u. The coach at the level above hers would often ask for fill in players from the younger teams. So as a 12u player, she would often fill in at 14u. She would fill in at 16u as a 14u player, etc.

She was 2nd year 18u the year she was graduating from high school and had committed to play in college at that time. She could have played another summer at 18u, but we decided to develop a team that played 23u instead. It included several other 18u players as well as several active college players. The tournaments they played in were filled with other college players as well as some women's teams. In fact, at least two girls she played against in these tournaments played in the College World Series in 2021. There may be more, but I know of at least 2. In my opinion, playing against that talent level better prepared her for college ball than playing another year at 18u.

Jun 8, 2016
The problem is some parents would rather have a kid dominate at their age level rather than be properly challenged. DD has a Sept b-day and has played up a year since she started TB (so at times she is playing kids almost 3 years older than her). At times I do wonder if doing this may have robbed her of a bit confidence by not letting her be the best player on the field but so far she has managed.

That said, things even out a bit more once they are past puberty and at that point you do see more kids playing up in age it seems.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The problem is most parents would rather have a kid dominate at their age level rather than be properly challenged. Marcela has a Sept b-day and has played up a year since she started TB. At times I do wonder
if doing so may have robbed her of a bit confidence by not letting her be the best player on the field at all times (or most times at least) but so far she has managed.
I think this can go either way... Meg's first year of travel ball was 2nd year 12u. We were not sure how the whole process works, so she decided to play rec ball as well. At the beginning she enjoyed both, but after playing 2 or 3 tournaments she was completely bored with rec ball. Since she committed (and I was a coach), she finished out the season, but she clearly preferred travel ball at that point.

In my opinion holding someone back when they are capable of playing at the next level is a mistake. However, moving someone up before they are ready to play at the next level is also a mistake.

Jun 8, 2016
In my opinion holding someone back when they are capable of playing at the next level is a mistake. However, moving someone up before they are ready to play at the next level is also a mistake.
It is a fine line. ..Also all age group teams are not created equal with regards the the team talent, the talent they play, how good the coaching is, etc. so that is part of the equation as well. Best case scenario is you play on a team, where you get significant PT, which is going to play competition which challenges you (but doesn't discourage you too much), you are pushed by your teammates and has good coaching, regardless of the age level.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think a lot of members here have done both with their childing and we did with my dd. However, genetics kick in at different times. My dd was always bigger than the other girls. If she played up, and she did, she fit in both mentally and physically. Some very talented players/friends of hers played their age groups and ended up at the same place in the end.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
I've played my DD up ever since 8u. She has always had the talent and been recruited for TB, but has other interests and preferred the commitment level offered by house...plus it allowed her more time on the mound as opposed to likely being a 3rd option in TB. She played her first season of 18u as a 12yr old and got to play against several high end varsity players (HS ball is big in our area). While it seems TB is inevitable to keep progressing, playing up has been great for her development so far.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I do think it's not just talent. Age/size/maturity does matter somewhat, though. I really good 10u player might still be overwhelmed against 14-year-olds just based on physical differences.

That said, I'm all for playing above your level as long as the player can handle the (usually temporary) extra failure.

Our HS level (it's really HS and up, as there are quite a few ladies in their late teens/early 20s who still love to play in the league) summer team always features middle school call-ups. Most 8th graders get to play with that team, at least sometimes, but I've had 5th/6th graders fill in when necessary. They almost always hold their own even if they don't necessarily have great success. But I really think it's important to know the player and to explain to them appropriate expectations. I've made a few mistakes with my call-ups and challenged girls who weren't as ready as I thought. They usually bounce back, but you don't want them to get embarrassed out there.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A question I have been asked by parents through the years is whether their daughter should start out by playing baseball (we're talking rec here). I always tell them yes, provided she is not overwhelmed. In the half dozen cases where I have seen the player later on at 12 or 14U it seems to have paid off. I'm also sure there are instances where it didn't work out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2